Washer Case Removal for Whirlpool Top Loaders
To access the interior components on Whirlpool manufactured top loading washers, you must remove the exterior washer casing. The follow steps, explain how:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in a few different ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
c. Some consoles have a series of screws located in the back. Simply loosen the screws to release the console.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer to its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
IMPORTANT: To correctly reinstall the washer case, follow these steps:
1. With the lid of the washer casing open, grasp the case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame base in the front.
2. Lower the washer casing back onto the side frames. Make sure the small cleats on the side frames fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
3. Make sure the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side by leaning over the front of the washer and grasping the back panel and pull towards you to seat it.
4. Reinsert the brass clips. Place the 90 degree bend of the clip into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push the J-hook end of the clip down into the opening on top of the washer. NOTE: Once the clips are snapped back into place, the washer case should fit tight and not move on the frame.
5. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
6. Reinstall console.
These procedures are much easier than they appear. If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope this information is helpful.
NOTE: Whirlpool manufactured top loaders include Kenmore, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire, Kitchenaid, Kelvinator and some later model Maytags.
on Dec 13, 2009 | Washing Machines