THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP. THERE MAY BE SOME COMMON CIRCUITRY WITH THESE CHARGERS?
Makita 1850 battery charger FIX. A friend asked me to check his charger unit which had failed after it had been connected to a portable petrol generator that incorrectly generated 317 Volts AC and not the usual 240 Volt AC. On the charger circuit board next to the transformer wire connection is a component marked F2; this is a 2.5Amp fuse covered with heat-shrink sleeving. This fuse had ruptured/blown. Also blown was Transistor Q1, a ''P'' Mosfet labelled IRF9Z24N and Schottky Diode D9 labelled SR560. Replacing these 3 items got the charger working again. NB Resistor R31 is only 0.1ohm - don't assume it's gone short circuit! NB. I'd presume that most other Makita chargers will have this heat-shrink sleeving ''camoflaged'' fuse on the input of the circuit board and it would definitely be worth checking if the charger has stopped working. Regards Roy
Sorry to give you my opinion, but these chargers are very delicate, I have 4 and can barely keep 2 going.
Open it up and look for obvious shorts/loose wires, if no luck then buy another one and return the busted one as if it were the new one.
You will end up with two working chargers.
PS this is probably fraud...ha!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
No doubt the battery is dead and will no longer accept a charge . replacement is your only option .perhaps a batteries plus store can rebuild it . much cheaper than a new one if they can https://www.batteriesplus.com/store-locator
Usually this is indicative of a bad battery. First try a good battery in the tool to make sure it is OK. If the tool is OK, you need to try charging the good battery in the charger to see if the charger is working properly. If the charger is OK, replace the bad battery. Some batteries will show fully charged on the charger but will not supply the power to the tool.
Check the charger output, it should be about 4-5 volts higher than the battery pack voltage rating. If the charger voltage output checks ok then the battery pack is defective. Any Radio Shack store can test the charger for you.
Yes! I really think you're right there is a fuse, you need to open charger and you will see the fuse just by the power cord, check it out for the very slim wire is broken, burned or either way you should try replacing it, that sould not be expensive! good luck!
Its ok for the charger to have those lights on.
If you have been using for quite some time or the batteries have had several charges then the charger will operate a service on the batteries to keep them in good condition.
We have had a few take as long as an hour to service , then it goes into normal charge mode.
Just leave it on to do its service and it should be fine.
If there was a problem then the red and green lights would alternate flash and a siren beep would sound.
Hope this was of help to you.
If the battery charger is the problem, there is not much you can do apart from checking the power cord and the internal glass fuse. If the cord delivers full power to the curcuit board, then remove the fuse and test it with a multimeter or an ohmmeter. If both is okay, I have no further advise then to replace it. Some times, it could be that the batteries are the ones to blame for a broken charger. Make sure your batteries are ok, so they do not destroy another charger. Check for capasity, excessive temperature when operating or charging, or strange smells indicating burnt components in the battery packs.
It sounds like you need a new charger I'm afraid. If you want to double check though, take the housing apart (4x security torx screws in the underside corners) and check the little glass fuse on the pcb. If either main fuse or glass one is blown you have a problem with the board and it's not worth repairing. If both fuses are ok I would suggest you might have a dry solder or broken leg on one of the pcb components. You could possibly resolder it if you can find it and it has enough contact left.
The flashing light indicates the charger is charging the battery (or attempting it) and if it never finishes charging you should try to charge a different battery, if the charger charges that one ok then the battery is bad.