Question about Washing Machines
If you have ever experienced the problem where you washer continually fills but never reaches the proper level (not an overflow). Or, the wash tub water level cannot be maintained, because the water level keeps dropping. You may be experiencing what is known as “siphoning”. This occurs when there is no air gap for the drain line at the standpipe. The standpipe is the drain pipe at the wall where the washer drain line is placed. With no air gap, a vacuum is created, and water will begin to drain from the wash tub prematurely. To prevent this from occurring, follow this advice:
* The standpipe should be 2 inches in diameter to allow a sufficient air gap between the top of the standpipe and the drain hose.
* The standpipe should be a minimum of 34” from the floor, and should not exceed 72 inches in height.
* DO NOT seal the top of the standpipe. Many consumers seal the standpipe in the belief that this will prevent overflows, or get rid of drain odors. This often creates more problems than solutions.
* DO NOT place the drain hose too far down into the pipe. Water stays in the drain trap area of the standpipe. If the end of the drain hose rests in this area, no air gap is created, and this can also cause siphoning. 4 to 6 inches is sufficient.
* The drain hose length must not exceed 10 feet in length. Excessive drain hose length can cause drain problems and back wash.
Posted on Sep 14, 2010
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 14, 2017 | Estate TAWX700JQ Top Load Washer
Sep 24, 2011 | Estate Washing Machines
Aug 08, 2011 | Estate ETW4400VQ Top Load Washer
Oct 03, 2010 | Estate ETW4100SQ Top Load Washer
Jul 12, 2009 | GE Profile Harmony WPGT9360E 4.0 Cu. Ft....
May 18, 2017 | Maytag SAV5910 Top Load Washer
May 23, 2009 | GE Washing Machines
Apr 16, 2017 | Estate ETW4400VQ Top Load Washer
Nov 21, 2007 | Frigidaire ATF6000ES Front Load Washer
59 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!