- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I had the same issue that started on some 3 year old 5.8 GHZ Uniden cordless phones. I moved it from room to room and same buzzing. I found a older Uniden set I had kept in a desk drawer. I swapped out the power transformer (power cord) and it is clear as a bell now.
A phone uses a voltage drop to determine when it is answered or hung up. What is happening in your case is the phone or base unit, or worse yet the house wiring has a short to ground somewhere. This also cause the static you hear. You can get a regular phone and plug it into the same cord and see if it works normal. If so it is not the house wiring but the phone or base unit. If so you can only hope to find the short yourself which is very time consuming and difficult on modern digital units. Sorry to say it's cheaper to get a new unit than pay for repair. The only other thing that cause those symptoms is the batteries are going dead. I assumed you checked this first. If not you can try changing the battery pack on the phone.
try a corded phone and unplug your cordless. see if that helps. If not go outside to your power meter and near it you should see a box labeled telephone. open it and you "should" see a spot to plug in a corded phone. you first have to unplug the little cord thats already in it then plug in you phone. If no static, then prob is in your house wiring or in a defective old jack or possibly another device plugged into your phone line (computer, answering machine, caller ID box, etc. ) .
If you do have static while outside & plugged into the "test jack" , then prob is in the phone companies regulated facilities and they will come out and fix no charge to you.
disconnect the ac adapter from the base - before you plug the phone back in with power - press and hold down the menu button (center silver button under the led display) and the number "1" and then plug it back in - keep holding those two buttons until the date and time reappears - it worked for me and it didnt erase the phone numbers stored in the base unit.
I had the same problem when I answered my cordless phone static charge went thru me and into my phone and I had now display, so i changed the batteries in the handset and it worked. So I hope this works for you.