My old Linksys Wirless-G 2.4GHz broadband router stopped working. I bought another one just like it. Two of my computers are working but I can not get my laptop to find the router. It appears to be looking for the old one. Any ideas?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Can't get my laptop to find router
Yes, go to my network places, right click, select properties, then create new connection, the wizard will walk you through, don't forget you have to put in the type of encryption and the Key ,that may be why it's not working. When you set up your new connection, you can select home/office etc, also delete the old connection, as that will cause you problems.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unplug house connection or router for 30 seconds, then do the linsys for 10 seconds and plug back in. This should reset everything to work correctly. If needed, reset ip address on your pc. Set up home network if necessary.
There is nothing to Delete. Simply unplug the old and plug in the new. A WEP key is a way to ensure a small amount of encryption in the Wireless network. If the new Router has WPA - you should use that instead of WEP as the WIRELESS Encryption. There should be a "quick start guide" to help you install the new Router.
Routers can only access so many adresses. Check the install disk and look at the router it may be a settings issue or too many devices.(not enogh info) You can link to your router by your computer and diagnose the problem.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.