- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the rechargeable battery is more than 3 - 4 years old then the battery could be worn out. Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge and discharge cycles and will lose their charge capacity over time, i.e. won't charge to 100% and gradually the charge reduces until the battery won't charge up at all. OR The battery shows a 100% charge but when the adapter is disconnected the battery drops off to zero capacity in a very short time. If the battery drops to an unacceptable charge level then the battery needs to be replaced. Rechargeable batteries will fail if stored in a discharged state for long periods.
Rechargeable batteries get old and can loose effectiveness after sitting for a while. You could have a charger problem as well. If you have another charger laying around you can see if the batteries take a charge with a different charger. But, even with rechargeables, they do go stale. If you buy new rechargeables make sure they are "fresh" as buying outdated rechargeable batteries can be a waste of many as many don't work. Buy from a reputable place as well. So many rechargeables from over seas are just not worth a dang.
Are the batteries old and been charged many times? Have they ever been allowed to sit around for a long time and completely discharge (which will shorten the life and prevent full recharge). Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the camera with a cotton swab lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol?
9 times out of 10 problems like this are the result of a bad battery, in other cases it can be a bad charger. Without knowing more information I cannot give you an exact diagnosis. This is the first question I ask when approached with this issue, Has this drill been sitting for a period of time and if so, was the battery charged before it was put away? If Yes, the drill has been sitting and No, it was not charged are your answers than chances are your batteries are dead. This tool has Ni-Cd batteries that self discharge as they sit, eventually these batteries discharge until they have nothing left. In addition, if the battery is stored in a cold garage/shed will speed up this self discharge. I always tell people to think of their power tool batteries just lie a just like a car battery that dies if it sits too long without being started.
If you do not use your power tools on a regular basis it is recommended to fully charge the batteries before storing them or else they will self discharge until completely dead. Another option is the newer Lithium-Ion power tools batteries are not as temperature sensitive, have a much slower self discharge and can sit for 12-18 months before starting to loose their charge.
A replacement battery for this drill runs about $42 plus s/h and can be purchased directly from Black & Decker (1-800-4-DeWalt or www.dewaltservicenet.com) My recommendation is to purchase a new drill. For around $40 - $50 you can buy a newer upgraded model with new battery and charger.
If you think your issue may be something else, please feel free to ask. If you feel I have helped explain or resolve your issue than please rate me. Thank you
Hi. If the machine has been sitting around for a while mot being used, then your batteries have, what is known as, sulphated up. The plates in the battery have grown a layer of lead sulphate on them.
Sometimes repeated charging and discharging ( going for a ride on the machine ), will help the batteries regain some condition. Batteries do not like sitting around, without being used.
Charging overnight should charge the batteries, if they are able to be charged.
The meter you mentioned, I take it, it is on the charger? I will be measuring the current ( amps ), going into the batteries.
The best answer, but also the most expensive, is to buy new batteries.
Good luck. Neil.
Was the battery checked before it was sold to you? Batteries will lose their charge over a period of time even when not hooked up. If you have a voltmeter it should read 12.8 volts on a fully charged battery. Have you tried to boost the car with cables? I suspect if the car was working OK 3 months ago it should start. Which leads me to suggest an undercharged battery.
Yes you can charge the 12 volt bttery on a trickle charger. You should use a 1 amp or less charger. Check the battery every 1/2 hour or so for heat. If it get's hot you should stop charging. Power packs that have a 12 volt rating will charge your battery safer and better but will take longer (like a cell phone charger) look at the voltage ratings on the charger. You will have to adapt the plug to hook it up and test for correct pos. and negative connections. The 7amp hour batery should be fully charged by a .5 amp (500ma) charger in about 14 hours (multiply the amps times hours of charge and do not go over the 7amp hours of the battery when deciding how long to charge). After charging check voltage, it should be around 12. Let the battery set for a few hours (overnight) and check the voltage again. It should be around 12 still. A fresh charge will usually show a higher reading (called a surface charge) than a battery sitting around. 4.5 v will not operate your device, 9.5 v or higher should.