Question about GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell.

Capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell. control front quite functioning. clock doe not function. Had to unplug the unit.
GE microwave unit #JVM1850BH01.

Posted by on

  • brn4005 Mar 08, 2009

    Cactus Bob,



    The oven was not in operation at the time. Does this info make a difference in your diagnosis?



    George Brown

  • brn4005 Mar 08, 2009

    Thanks again C B. Appreciate the info.



    G.B.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 267 Answers

YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW MICROWAVE . the cap may be bad but the real bad smell you have is most likely the HV tranformer , if the magntron shorts to ground there will be a small smell if you dont pick up on that and your microwave is set to run another few mins the transformer will overheat and burn , then the fuse blows and the controls shut down . the end result , you have more parts bad than you have good . if you google " GE SPACEMAKER MICROWAVE FIRE ' you will see your not the only one , its getting to be COMMON . good luck

Posted on Mar 08, 2009

  • BOB  BROWER
    BOB BROWER Mar 08, 2009

    no that just adds to it ...... ge has a second problem TURNING ON BY ITSELF that would explain why everthing overheated , if it was running for a long time with nothing in it ...

×

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I burnet a styfoam, and plastic cover in the microwave. The smell is awful, like melted plastic and burnt wood. My entire house smells horrible. Is there some way to get the smell out.


Try pouring some vinegar in a cup and microwaving until the vinegar steams. This works well when burnt popcorn smells up the microwave.

...

Apr 21, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Cooling fan started to slow down and speed up again,clock goes off as this is happening,now burning smell.


You need to disconnect and make an observation to what had burnt before the unit is plugged once again. check the main capacitor, the transformer, check the magnetron , the surge capacitor and the waveguides.
click this link for tips: Waveguides

Feb 11, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Our Sharp microwave oven turns on, makes a loud humming noise, starts to smell like something is burning, but doesn't heat. Well, actually, we don't think it heats, we're too scared to let it run because...


Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} This can be caused by grease etc. inside the oven and on the wave guide which is the paper like thing in the oven. If you can remove it look for burnt areas which may can be scraped off or you may need to replace it. An appliance parts store usually has the material you can cut to fit you own.

Dec 10, 2009 | Sharp R-530ES Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Smells like burnt wires


It is very possible it may have burnt wire or burnt capacitor. Remove unit, remove top cover and look inside to see if you see any burn marks or burnt wires. Also check fuse to see if it is good or not.

Aug 07, 2009 | Whirlpool MH1141XM Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.


If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440BH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush

Apr 19, 2009 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore over the range microwave 721.63684300 - nothing works


you must remove the MW take off the cover then look for a large metal can (capacitor) and a white (ceramic) fuse...look and, smell and, you should find the cause

Apr 02, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800 does not heat. All other functions appear to be working normally, the light comes on and the turntable functions. When turned on, it makes a humming noise slightly louder than normal,...


Possible bad heating element, You should remove the cover of the unit and look at the heating element with the power off. Until you get your problem resolved I would recommend not to even turn it on due to the fact that you are unsure what is going on and you smelt some burnt smell. Just for safety until you fine the problem

Feb 21, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave won't heat food


hello kmwnky,
You say that Everything went out at first ( which I assume means that all functions went dead) and then functions started to operate again later... if that is correct and you smelled something burning.. you may have a thermal fuse that failed, filament transformer that failed, magnetron tube that failed or a highvoltage capacitor that failed.. None of these components are something the untrained person should attempt to trouble shoot or replace since there are dangerous energies stored inside the electronics compartment even after power is removed.. Your Micro is > 8 years old and it's probably not worth the cost of repairing at this point. You'd be better served replacing it.. The cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. ( I feel like the grim reaper here..sorry..)
Regards,
Rick

Nov 28, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven Logo

1,103 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...