Re: Canon SD870 - Unable to copy AVI files to desktop
You need video editing software to copy .avi files to. XP and Vista have that onboard. Either direct the data to it or import the data from the individual program. If that does not work, then you have a transfer problem between Camera and PC. Try a card reader, that will prove it.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
ALTERNATE WAY TO TRANSFER PHOTOS AND VIDEOS TO A COMPUTER If your photos and videos are stored on the memory card, then remove the memory card from the camera and insert it into an USB memory card reader. Connect this USB memory card reader and memory card into the USB port of your working computer. Your computer will see this as an USB Mass Storage Device or an external storage device; you can then open the folder on the memory card and copy the photos and to your computer. Memory card reader is a handy device and is inexpensive. You can copy photos from other cameras and you can also download photos off your memory card to someone else's computer without the need of installing any programs.
Please check the memory card with your PC and check if there are any corrupt files within. If so remvoe and format the card , Also so a virus scan and confirm that the Sd card is clean.
Now insert and check. If however the card is found in good condition in the first place then there are errors in the interface to the processor in the camera which might need a technical help from the Canon-service center.
Using a card reader is not a solution. It's a work-around. IT dos not solve the fact that many canon cameras have this problem with large files.
It is useless that you cannot copy it without using a card reader. Everybody should be able to transfer their files from camera to any computer anywhere, without having to bring anything but the usb cable.
Page 66 of the user manual - see link below details how to do the copy -
Copy To Card
1. Select the [Copy To Card] menu tab by pressing the Up / Down button. And then press the Right button.
2. Select a desired sub menu by pressing the UP/ DOWN button and press the OK button.
- [No] : Cancels "Copy to Card".
- [Yes] : All images, movie clips and voice recording files saved in the internal memory are copied to the memory card after the [Processing!]message is displayed. After copying has been completed, the screen will return to play mode.
Press the MODE button to select the Video mode. Note: The camera has limited internal memory allowing you to record up to 20 seconds in QVGA. An SD
card (up to 8GB) needs to be inserted in order to use the video mode normally.
When the icon appears on the top left corner of the LCD screen this indicates that you are in Video
1. Prepare the object or subject you wish to record.
2. Press the Shutter button to begin shooting the video.
3. The elapse time will appear on the top right of the LCD screen and the icon will flash on the
4. Press the Shutter button again to stop the recording and save this file in AVI format.
1. You can preview the AVI files in Playback mode or once downloaded to your computer by using
Quick Time and Windows Media Player.
2. When the camera's memory is full, the “Memory Full Insert a SD Memory Card to Transfer and
Shoot More video!” message will appear on the LCD screen when you attempt shoot more videos.
Download the test file from the internal memory to the PC or delete them to shoot more videos.
Alternatively, you can insert a SD memory card to expand the memory to record longer videos.
3. The LED will light up when the light condition is not good.
hi sir.. please plug in to the computer.. see whether that the file shows the properties if i shows the memory details . u can copy and play in computer. usind the pc suite of media player. to play.. thank's sir