An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: broken electrical cord
I agree. if the insulation is only cracked then use electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. if the metal wire is showing or partially broken then I would replace the cord. If it is near the plug then you could cut it at the break and replace just the plug.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you've had this iron for a while it sounds like the cord may be frayed. switch it off at the wall and unplug it, check the cord for wear, if the insulation is frayed, torn or broken and there are black burn marks on the cord where you saw sparks then the cord needs to be replaced. DONT plug the iron back in until the cord is replaced.
Otherwise If there are no breaks or black burn marks on the cord, then your power point may be faulty and needs to be replaced!
If you can use a screwdriver you can probably do it yourself. Take all the screws out of the handle which should allow you to get to the cord. Determine how they have it attached to your unit. If it is spade lugs there could be a problem. If it is soldered there could be a problem. If they are screwed on we can proceed. Remove the wires and hookup your new cord which could be an old extension cord which is no longer any good. Put your unit back together and you should be good to go.
You can repair this yourself but you will have to take the handle apart to access the power cord inside the handle. Just pull the cord inside and wrap with electrical tape to hold in place. Hope this helps
The iron may actually be ok. If not, remember that because it's new it will come with a guarantee.
Did you put the plug onto the iron yourself? Check inside the plug to make sure that there's no bare wires that can touch as the cord flexes as you iron. This would cause it to short and throw the power in the house.
Try using the iron in a different room. If you get the same problem then there's possibly a wiring fault (maybe a broken/worn insulation on the wires of the iron cord ... though as it's new, I would doubt this).
Are you using an electrical extension lead to plug the iron into? If you haven't overloaded the socket with other electrical appliances it may be that the extension cable has a broken/faulty/loose wire inside that when they touch, causes the power to go off. A few years ago the power in my house used to go off on occasions whenever someone went to the fridge. The fault was traced to split insulation on one of the wires in the extension cable I was using. Whenever somebody stood on the cable it shorted out and cut the power.
To be really sure - go into a neighbours and use the iron! If the power goes off - it's the iron at fault. If not, it's probably just a small problem like worn insulation/loose/broken wire in an extension lead in your own house.
If you dropped it it will probably be an easy fix. Just openup the unit and look for a crack in the cicuit board. This is the case 99 percent of the time in apliance drops. If you find a crack in a board simply epoxy it and on the cicuit side of the board solder jumper wires from point a to point b when you follow the boken trace(s). If more than one trace is broken repeat the process until all the circuits can be repaired. Make sure you use wire of a high enough rating to handle the current the trace handles, and also use wire with heat resistant insulation in this application.
First things first though. Just open it up and have a look. The plug to the heating element may have just been knocked off. With a little trouble shooting skills and a good look you should be able to see your problem. If you get it open and see something I did not tell you how to fix just post any question you have and I will answer them for you.