The display is defective and requires replacement. Unfortunately, the display is probably incorporated as a unit with the control panel and must be purchased as an entire service part. This will cost $80-$120 depending on the oven make & model. It will cost more if you have a repairer install the part.
It may be more cost effective to replace the oven. Microwave ovens are rather inexpensive these days.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1. Unplug the unit
2. Remove the outercasing
3. Locate the fuse holder, this unit only has one
4. Use a pair of pliers to remove the fuse gently not to crack it
5. Install the new fuse
6. Install the outer casing
7. Plug in and try
You do not want to try the unit with the outercasing off. Microwaves give off radiation the outershell helps to reduce this radiation.
I've just fixed a very similar problem with a 10-yr-old NEC microwave oven.
Disconnect AC power, take the top cover off, go through the unit and tighten all screws, particularly those connecting ground wires to the chassis and those fixing major components like the power transformer and magnetron to the chassis.
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven.
Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace
the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the
magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper
electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have
to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly
lengthy process however.
First, there is an outlet. Plug in something else. Inside the key panel, there are fuses and a thermo sensor. Either may be bad. The thermosensor is about the diameter of a dime, black and 3/8 inch thick...attached to the wall of the chamber. All should have continuity.