Question about IBM ThinkPad T21 Notebook
I have an ibm thinkpad 600e. and can,t get it to start. it does different things like error 163 can anyone help
Error 163 is date not set.
When you get a set of errors like 163, 192 and 161 (invalid date and time and invalid cmos settings) , and the thinkpad not starting, that means that the cmos battery is completely drained and must be replaced.
The Cmos battery is located on the lower side of the motherboard, and can be accessed from the memory compartment.
You can order the battery at a local reseller, or buy it on Ebay for a small fee.
See the guides below on how to replace the CMOS battery.
Replacing CMOS battery on IBM Think
Replacing a CMOS battery on a IBM ThinkPad 600
Thinkpad 600e - CMOS battery replacement
eBay Guides - CMOS Backup Battery Replacement IBM Thinkpad 600
how to mend it .com - thinkpad 600 error 161 163
Posted on Mar 05, 2009
Errors 161, 192, 163.
All three of these errors are connected to the back up battery.
To resolve this problem:
1. open memory flap on base of laptop (small philips screwdriver required)
2. find the small connector with 1 black & 1 red wire coming from it.
3. disconnect above connector and gently pull the Red&black wires. The backup battery should just pull out from under the casing.
4. get replacement battery. Either
a. call IBM spares (07900 247 490 in UK) and ask for FRU:
02K6502. UK price is about £8 + £15 delivery + VAT.
b. if comfortable with soldering iron: Carefully open the packaging on the backup battery using a sharp knife.
Remove the solder tags from the battery (these are spot welded so need to be cut/broken off). Buy a new CR2025 battery from any computer shop, jeweler, or camera shop.
Using electrical tape, insulate all round edge of battery
Solder the leads onto the new battery - note polarity. Red wire to +, black wire to -.
Using more insulating tape, wrap battery so that all exposed metal is covered.
5. put new battery into laptop (reverse steps 1-3)
6. start up computer, error 192 has gone, but still shows 161, 163. Select OK.
7. reset date & time, and OK
8. when screen shows 'O / I' restart laptop using on/off switch at side.
Good luck and thanks for using FixYa!!
Posted on Mar 05, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 18, 2010 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Nov 29, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Jun 03, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Dec 29, 2008 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Oct 03, 2008 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Feb 20, 2007 | IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645 Notebook
Nov 23, 2010 | IBM ThinkPad T21 Notebook
662 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!