Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
I have followed all suggestions for my Whirlpool Duet for the F6 error. All connections are perfect, no leaks, etc. I have come to the conclusion it is the Motor Tachometer. What does it look like and where is it located?
The error is an indication a motor speed problem. You will need to check the following:
- Check the wiring harness. Verify all connections between the Drive Motor, Motor Control Unit (MCU), and Central Control Unit (CCU).
NOTE: The MCU is a circuit board located in the vicinity of the Drive Motor on the bottom rear of the washer. To access the MCU, you will need to remove the back panel of the washer.
NOTE: The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located behind the wash tub. You will need to remove the top panel to access the CCU. This is accomplished by removing the three screws in the back of the washer that hold the top in place. Once the screws are removed, the top panel will slide back, then lift off.
- Check the Drive Motor. Perform a continuity check of the Drive Motor windings. Remove the connector plug and check across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 1 to 3. All readings should be approximately 6 ohms. HINT: You can also take this reading by removing connector 2 from the MCU and measuring across pins 1, 2 and 3. If the readings are good, this will also prove the wiring and connector good.
- Check the MCU. The connectors are numbered 1 to 3 (L to R). That is, with the MCU installed, connector 1 is on the bottom, followed by 2 in the middle, and 3 on top.
Connector 1 - is the serial communications link between the MCU and CCU and has three wires. At the opposite end, this will be the 2nd connector from the rear on the left-hand side of the CCU.
Connector 2 - is the link between the MCU and the Drive Motor. Pins 1, 2, and 3 on this connector are the Drive Motor windings. Pins 4 and 5 are for the tachometer.
Connector 3 – is the primary power connector. Pins 1 to 2 should read 120VAC with the door in the locked position. Pin 3 is ground. At the opposite end, this is the 4th connector from the right on the front of the CCU.
NOTE: All the connector pins are numbered R to L.
If your continuity readings are normal for the Drive Motor and you have verified all connectors, replace the MCU.
If any of the Drive Motor windings indicate readings higher that 6 ohms, replace the Drive Motor.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 14, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 15, 2014 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Sep 06, 2014 | Whirlpool Duet WFW9151YW 27" Front-Load...
Oct 17, 2013 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Feb 16, 2011 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
The control is unable to properly detect motor speed and the machine will shut down. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.
• Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor/Tachometer and the Motor ControlUnit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the Drive Motor • Check the MCU • Check the Wire Harness
Feb 03, 2011 | Whirlpool GHW9300 Duet Washer
May 21, 2010 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Feb 03, 2010 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Jun 16, 2009 | Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Aug 10, 2008 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Nov 27, 2007 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
63 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: