We have a Brother HL 2140 series the printer will not print. It has a new toner cart. The drum light is lit . Any suggestions?
This machine has a separate drum and toner cartridge. Replacing the toner does not reset the drum light. Double check that the light on is, in fact, the drum light, and if it is, replace the drum unit. This should resolve your problem.
In order to replace the drum unit, do this:
1) With the printer on and the drum light blinking, open the front cover.
2) Press and hold the Go button for about 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up. Once all LEDs light up, release the Go button.
3) Pull the print assembly out of the machine.
4) Push down the green lock lever to take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
5) Put the toner cartridge into the new drum unit.
6) Reinsert the print assembly into the machine.
7) Close the front cover and verify that the lights turn off.
It is theoretically possible that you could reset the counter without actually changing the drum by simply skipping steps 3-6 above, but I have never tried it before and Brother may be checking a chip on the drum unit to verify that it is, in fact, a new drum unit. If they are, you will have to actually replace the unit to make the light go off. I would strongly recommend against resetting the counter without actually changing the drum though, as your print quality will degrade and the machine may start to dump toner into the inside creating a rather large mess and a hefty repair bill.
Feb 28, 2011 |
Printers & Copiers