I noticed an acrid burning rubber smell when the dryer was running and the hot lead of the plug was beginning to melt and the wall outlet was very hot. Then I opened the dryer and noticed that the heating element was glowing orange. I tried continuity tests on related parts and they all read correctly. My guess at this point is that it's either a thermostat or the circuit breaker. Suggestions?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: My Whirlpool dryer LER3624EQ1 is overheating
If you open the dryer quick enough during a cycle, you will see the element glow. That's normal. It sounds like a belt problem. Something is causiing the drum to drag which will cause the belt not to turn as easy. This, in turn, will make the motor work harder and overamp as it is trying to move the belt but it is just sitting and spinning and burning the belt. Look for something like a rear drum bearing or tensioner pulley causing the problem. Continuity test just show that there is a complete circuit. This is confirmed by the element getting hot. Also, if you motor is not turning at the correct speed, this will slow down the amount of air being moved across the element. This will also cause excessive heating of the element.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
First, make sure that the plug is firmly pushed in.Except for electrical parts short-circuiting, which is usually accompanied by an acrid smell, there is a possibility that there is a lint build up which, when moistened by the wet washing, which may also cause a short-circuit.
Although not common, a burned out heater may cause a 'short', in which case the dryer will not get hot.
All dryers should be equipped with an overload switch that 'trips' in case of an electrical overload.
BTW, make sure the filter is kept clean. A clogged filter can cause overheating problems.
classical sign of a bad motor. the motor has a thermal switch on it telling the unit to shut off when it gets hot. after it cools down, the switch will tell the motor to turn back on again. good luck, i'm pretty sure that's your problem. contact me for further help if needed. thanks :)
ok the rubber smell is your socks and underwear band,,and things with elastic in them ...ok open your dryer ,,look in the back where the hot air blows out,,,does it look like a burned iron..that where the clothe stick and melt too..just take a brillo with a little bit of water,,little dampness ans scrub the area..onthejob...
Have you painted or stained in your house or apartment recently? The smell gets everywhere, dryer, stove, heating unit. I recently primed with Kilz and the clothes from my dryer smelled burned. When I called for service, it was the first question the service person asked and said they made a lot of useless trips only to find nothing wrong with the appliance. That was my case. I had to rewash clothes and let the dryer run with towels for a while
I am not the Dryer fixin' trade...but I have this dryer. To me, it sounds like it overheating or the heater unit has become lose from its hold rack. I would MOST definitely have a pro look at it and do NOT leave the dryer unattended...It may be a possible fire hazzard