Question about Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
I NEED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO FIX FORGOTTEN USER PASSWORD. THE COMPUTER BOOTS UP AND HAS MY NAME AND THEN WANTS A PASSWORD. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FORGETTEN.
This works with XP, never tried with VISTA but system should have the same loopholes in it.
1. Place your Windows CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.
It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
Posted on Feb 25, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 29, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Jun 10, 2012 | Acer Aspire 3502WLCi Notebook
Jul 01, 2011 | Computers & Internet
during the boot up process you will see on the screen for a short amount of time press a certain key to enter set up
Press and hold that key during the boot up process to enter BIOS scroll down to set user password or supervisor password you can change or remove your password from there
control panel user accounts
on the users tab,click the name of the computer administrator you can change the password there
hope this helps
Jan 06, 2011 | Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
Sep 11, 2009 | Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
Mar 03, 2009 | Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook
Feb 23, 2009 | Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
Apr 03, 2008 | HP Pavilion dv2000t 14.1" Notebook Laptop...
70 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!