Question about NetGear RP114 Router
One day it is fine the next day no connection. I have a separate DSL modem connected to the router and then theres my computer. Sometimes reseting the router helps, sometimes not. Sometimes power downs help sometimes not. I purchased the router second hand off of ebay. Did I get a lemon? Or is there something else I need to do to get it set up right. I see places online where it says to go to actiontech and do something, but i have not done this, because when I hooked up the router it worked for about a week before I started having any problems with it.
1. Please verify the model and version of the router underneath it.
2. Go to http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/1293.
3. Please click on the appropriate version of the router.
4. Select the link of the latest firmware. Please click on the button Right-click and Save to Download.
5. Save the file to the Desktop.
Note: Please perform firmware upgrade with wired or Ethernet connection only. Before you upgrade, write down all current settings as you need to enter them manually after upgrading.
6. Using the computer hardwired on the router, open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
7. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
8. A window will prompt for a user name and password. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
Note: If it does not take password as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords. If you cannot remember the password, you need to reset the router and run the Setup CD to reconfigure it.
9. Click on Maintenance and then Router Upgrade.
10. Click Browse and locate the upgrade file in your Desktop. Click Upload.
11. Please wait for the router to reboot.
12. Reset the router.
a. Please push the reset button at the back of the router and release after 30 seconds.
b. Unplug the power adapter for 10 seconds and then please plug it back in.
1. Check physical connections.
a. Connect the modem to the Internet port of the router. The Internet “i” LED on the front of the router should light up.
b. Connect the computer to one of the four LAN ports (i.e port 1, 2, 3 or 4) on the back of the router. The corresponding port light where you connected the computer should be lit up.
2. Access the router's web-based utility.
a. Please open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
b. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.0.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
c. A window will prompt for a user name and password. By default, the user name is "admin" and the password is "password" or ( for older RP614 ) "1234".
Configure the router.
If your Internet Service Provider is using a DSL connection that does not require a login, please follow the steps below:
a. Click on Basic Settings under Setup tab.
b. Select No for Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?.
c. Scroll down on the center page and look for the Router MAC Address section. Set it to Use computer MAC address and click on the Apply button.
If your Internet Service Provider is using a DSL connection that requires a login, please follow the steps below:
a. Click on Basic Settings.
b. Select Yes for Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?.
c. Select Other on the Internet Service Provider drop down box.
d. Enter your ISP's username (username@ISPdomain) and password. Then, click on Apply.
From the above configuration, please check if you can now access the Internet.
Posted on Apr 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 03, 2011 | ASUS WIRELESS ROUTER |WL-520G - RT...
May 13, 2010 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Apr 22, 2010 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Feb 27, 2010 | Belkin (F5D7230-4) Router (587009)
Nov 10, 2009 | Routers
Oct 07, 2009 | D-Link 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router...
Aug 01, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jan 14, 2009 | 2wire HomePortal® 1800HW Router...
Nov 15, 2007 | NetGear RangeMax WPN824 Router
Dec 02, 2016 | Routers
131 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: