Question about Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
We have Windows XP
I had this problem and started doing every hack that I could find on the internet. I have a neighbor across the hall whose Magicjack worked fine, and so I plugged my Magicjack into his computer, and it worked fine. So, I knew my computer had the problem. After a month of hacks and fixes, to include reinstalling the operating system, I found something that worked! It has to do with the paging file on your computer. I partitioned my hard-drive and put the paging file on its own partition. I also installed a second hard-drive and gave the paging file a second partition to go to. After doing this, my computer runs much better and the Magicjack works like a charm. In the last 3 months of using it, I haven't had any problems. This solution also reduces the problems with fragmentation of your paging file and the overall memory.
Posted on Nov 08, 2009
Can be several things. All I can suggest is that you have to eliminate as many variables as possible. I had much the same problems and now my install is solid (see my setup below).
1. What type of phone are you using? I first tried a cheap wired set with a 20 foot phone cable. This caused several calling and receiving problems. Get a decent quality phone (wireless or wired) and keep the cable no longer than 6 ft.
2. What else is running on the PC? try killing everything else to see if it is a resource issue. If works, start your other things one at a time to see what the conflict is.
3. Is your internet connection working well? Get into your router if you can and check status. If you have doubts, have your ISP check it out and tell them you are doing VOIP. Web surfing is is far more forgiving the VOIP. You, of course, need a high speed link for any VOIP to work reliably.
4. Check with Magic Jack on the web to see if your unit needs a firmware upgrade. Not sure when you got yours but they have had a few issues so it may be worth a shot.
My set-up so you have a reference:
-Magic Jack at latest revision
-XP home, SP3 with 512mb of ram and running Magicjack + zonealarm firewall. (I bought a used Dell Desktop for $150.00 off eBay and it runs 24x7 for MagicJack)
-Two Vtech wireless phone sets (WalMart) hooked up with a home-made "y" cable that is 5 ft. long. Gives me 4 wireless phones. I do not use the PC with a headset so don't know about this functionality.
-DSL: 608 up speed and 3553 down, link status constant "up" and "0" errors. Also ran at lower DSL speeds without issue but link status (up) and errors (zero) are CRITICAL.
- I forwarded my Magic Jack number to my DSL required land-line. Works great and I can use my existing caller ID, answering machine and call blocking gizmos without a problem.
Hope this at least gives you a reference. I just renewed for five additional years of Magic Jack and it works as well as my land-line ever did
Posted on Jul 16, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 17, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jan 02, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Dec 22, 2013 | magicJack New & Improved 2012 Plus Free...
May 02, 2012 | magicjack.com
Jun 07, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Mar 02, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Nov 19, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Aug 07, 2009 | Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop
Jun 30, 2009 | Lands Phones
759 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!