Question about Craftsman Rear Mount Tiller

2 Answers

Stateman Tiller tine not engaging

I have a used and old Stateman Rear Tine Tiller with a Briggs and Stratton 5.0 HP motor. The motor works fine and still strong but the tiller portion seems to be the problem. When ever I shift to (T) tiller gear, it won't engage or will spin only a little bit with no power on it.(clutch is engaged). As soon as the tines hit the soil/grass it stops turning/cutting the ground and sometimes make a metalic crackling sound which seems to come from the tiller transfer gear. I have not yet opened the tiller mechanism portion but will soon. Please assist on where can I get replacement parts for this old monster, or am I looking at the wrong portion of the machine. The following info is forwarded: MODEL: 130202, TYPE: 312901, CODE: 88101927 from Briggs and Stratton motor. The main body of the machine has the mark: ROPER model: 5056 94 and SER: 3478S01006. The main frame is also mark in big numbers: 106137X - #50. Hope you can assist me on this problem.

Thank you,

Posted by on

  • Butch Pagador Feb 22, 2009

    Thank you JD012153,

    I just opened up the whole tiller part of the machine and I found a gear, might be the "worm gear" you mentioned, it was worn-out. It has only a few teeth remaining. The big problem now is how and where to get this replacement part. If I could only attach a picture to this comment then I will provide one. I don't have any manual for this dinasour tiller and looking for "Stateman Tiller" on the internet does not get me anything. I was told it was made by Sears. Please provide any assistance. If anybody could email me at this address: then I will send you a picture so you could assist me better. This worn gear is in the transfer/shift area that controls the R, N, C, T indicator.

    Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you so much . . .



  • Butch Pagador Feb 22, 2009



    Attached is the part that was worn out. I do not have manual and would not know where to get/order it. Any assistance is appreciated. A link to the pictures is attached.

    Briggs and Stratton Model: 130202 Type: 3129 01

    Code: 88101927

    The tiller is by Stateman Rear Tine 17". It has sticker of ROPER Model 5056 94, Ser: 3478S01006 on the body. There is also a big marking of 106137X - #50 on the main body frame.

    Again any help in getting the part number and where to get this part is appreciated. Thank you.




2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 8 Answers

Sounds like the worm gears are worn to the point they will not engage.

Posted on Feb 21, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

Go to your GardenWeb post about this. I posted link to parts diagram and list.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a PowerPro 5 hp rear tine tiller with a 5hp B&S engine mdl 352-02. Where can I get some schematics of the engine?

First you need the model and type from Briggs then you can look at several online source for engine's ipl,

Here is some guides on finding your engine's numbers.
Briggs Stratton Model Number Locator

hey also have the ipl and parts for you to order from or you can support your local dealer.

May 10, 2015 | Garden

1 Answer

Where can I find a carburetor for a stateman 5.5 hrp rear tine tiller?

Any authorized Briggs dealer. You will need model, type, and code off the motor. Its probable though that you don't need a replacement and can just rebuild the one you have.

Aug 31, 2014 | Garden

1 Answer

Purchased hahn tiller 5hp briggs stratton with broken tines and bearing and seal leaks. where can i get parts

Parts for the engine can be purchased from briggs and stratton
The bearings and seal can be purchased from Napa. Dimensions are required for the bearing inner and outer diameters. (Caliper time)
The tines.... I don't know. My experience on the tines is you either find an old Hahn Eclipse Tiller for parts or you find a good craftsman that can make one. I had to make a LH tine using the broken parts, some forge hardened bar stock and a welder. The tine manufacture took much longer than expected...!

Apr 23, 2011 | Garden

1 Answer

I am trying to find info for a ranch king pro rear tine tiller, the engagement cable is broken and i can't seem to find any cable to replace it with or anything about a ranch king pro tiller, the engine is...

Looks like Ranch King Pro is made by MTD. The part is probably the same, but to be safe, take your old cable off and take it to a lawn equipment service shop to match it up. Shouldn't cost more than $10 - $20.

Jun 04, 2010 | Garden

1 Answer

Broken clutch cable connector, MTD Tiller

I found micro fiche on . Click on the manufacturer's tab at the top of the page then you'll have the option to use an off-site tool to locate your machine. I used it and found my 1990 mtd rear tine tiller. I needed the cable that engages the tines - maybe the same as you. The part number for my 1990 model's cable was 746-0535. Dont know if it was still the same in 96 to 98. But look at the fiche and see.

Apr 04, 2009 | Mtd Products Yard Machines 158CC Tiller

3 Answers

What type oil goes in the tranmission?

Trans oil! 90 or 140 wt.
I use 140 in my older tiller.

Feb 10, 2009 | Troy Bilt Pony 6.5 Hp Rear Tine Tiller

2 Answers

Yard Machines/Tiller

the tines are usually connected with shear bolts designed to break away when u hit something as a safety precaution so that u dont break anything in the transmission. its common that people dont know this and replace them with normal bolts. if this was done and the tines are not moving now chances are uve got a snapped gear shaft

Sep 28, 2008 | Mtd Super Bronco Rt Tiller

Not finding what you are looking for?
Craftsman Rear Mount Tiller Logo

508 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Craftsman Garden Experts

Dwain Pippen

Level 3 Expert

376 Answers

Dean Gruber

Level 2 Expert

110 Answers

Roland W VanLue
Roland W VanLue

Level 3 Expert

486 Answers

Are you a Craftsman Garden Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides