Why does the high limit switch keep tripping
You don't have specifics on the Dryer model. High limit is likely for a temperature being too high, which can lead to damage to the dryer or your clothes, or even to fire.
First and foremost, do NOT work on anything outside of the control panel or drum interior without unplugging the dryer. It almost certainly has a high current, 3-phase power inlet, and you can kill yourself coming into contact with the live power for it. Don't do that!
Most straightforward - look at the vent line. If it's clogged with lint, clean it out, both at the dryer end, and, if possible, for the rest of the line. You'll likely need a flat blade screwdriver to disconnect the vent hose on both the dryer and wall side. Take the vent line outside stretch it out, bang or hand-remove any lint sticking to it. (Stretching will help a lot in getting lint out of squeeze spots in the line.) Wear a dust mask to save yourself a lot of coughing when cleaning stuff.
if the vent is run under your house, go to the outside vent outlet and make sure it's not blocked or clogged.
Complementary to the vent line, clean out any tangible lint in the outlet hole area in the back of the dryer.
Past that point, my experience on the overheat goes a couple of places, all of which involve opening up the back. I'd suggest finding a DIY for your model to cut down on searching for screws. You'll likely have a bunch of 1/4" hex-head screws, which fortunately are the size of just about every hex-bit screwdriver set ever made - just put the hex end of the screwdriver on the head and it'll likely fit.
Inside, you'll open up the top of the blower unit. You will likely find it's clogged with lint, making the air pull anemic. Clean all the lint out of here. There are temperature sensors / cutouts. You'll need a DIY to locate which is which, and likely a voltmeter to test them. Last up-top possibility. Look inside the heater unit. It'll likely be a flat sheet-metal assembly on the right. If it's a gas unit, I'm out of my experience. If it's an electric unit, the heater coils are inside. They are likely covered in lint and laundry room dust. Use a long bottle brush to brush them off, or blow them off with compressed air. (Dust maskt!) A vacuum cleaner crevice tool can be useful. If they're covered in dust, they don't transfer heat to the air well, and can just overheat when the passing air doesn't carry the heat away.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Nov 07, 2015 |