An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: A short in the pto wiring perhaps?
Form what you are desribing you have a direct short, probaly in the wiring going to pto. I t has rubbed somewhere and is causing your short. Unplug the wires at connector close to your pto clutch and try it again and see if fuse stuill blows after you unhook it.
If the fuse still blows it is in the wiring going back up to thje switch. If the fuse does not blow after unhooking wiring connector the problem is in the clutch.
Thanks for using FixYa - a FixYa rating is appreciated!!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There are several things that can cause the fuse to blow. PTO stands for Power Take Off and most likely this will not be the problem unless it blows the fuse when it is turned on. What you are saying is the fuse is blowing by just turning on the switch will be a short which can be anything from a pinched wire, shorted diode, short in the stator. bad voltage regulator.etc
near the engine where the wire goes to the clutch there is a plug unplug that connector and try the switch again if the fuse blows the problem is in the wiring if not the short is after the connector i have seen the wire going into the clutch rub on the clutch housing and i have been able to repair it
Check the connector and wires at the pto clutch. Sometime the movement will create a cut in the wiring you may be able to see. If so if the wire touches ground it will blow the fuse and if the wires touch each other it will short. if the short is not there then the clutch is bad?
Wire harness for the PTO on the RZT's is designed dangerously near the drive pulley. After time, the harness drops and comes in contact with the pulley which grinds through the coating and shorts out the circuit. Repair (tape up) the wiring, relocate the the wire to the opposite side of the crank pulley (may have to zip-tie in place) - shouldn't be a problem anymore.
could have bad pyo switch or pto clutch.make sure every thing turns freely,blades and pullys then unplug clutch and try to enguage if does not blow fuse check clutch with meter. put meter on ohms probe one terminal and other on ground via clutch housing should not have continuety check other terminal to ground.voltage goes in one term and out the other like litebulb if potting (insulator) in clutch is melted wire inside will short on housing.hope this helps
Sounds more like a PTO clutch failure, rather than the switch. The clutch is mounted on the engine shaft, between the hydrostatic drive pulley (nearest the chassis) and the mower deck belt pulley (farther from the chassis).
Since it's an expensive part, make sure the problem isn't in the switch or wiring first. You could do that by probing the wires to the PTO clutch with an automotive test light - they are inexpensive and handy. Clip the ground wire of the test light to the chassis, and probe the hot wire to the clutch (it's the one that doesn't connect to ground) when the engine is running and the PTO switch is engaged. Obviously a helper has to be in the seat, and you should be careful doing this. If the light glows brightly, and the clutch doesn't engage, you definitely have a bad clutch.
Good luck! Please rate my answer if helpful, thanks.
I have the same mower. The wires do need to be connected. It is a safety feature on the cubs. The engine will not start if the electric PTO is engaged. I just went into the garage, pulled the pto lever out to engage, pushed down brake, tried to start and it would not start. I suggest reattatching the wires and trying it. Hope this helps.