How to Check Your Mobile Phone Usage
If you've an eligible service you can check your Mobile usage for the current month a number of ways. To check your My Plan Plus shared data usage,
see this article instead. For all other plans, simply choose the way that suits you from the topics below.
You can check your Mobile Phone usage:
Also, learn more about using your device's onboard data counters
, in our awesome community forums
Using your mobile phone: via SMS, Call or an App
These options are available 24/7 and are free to use from your Optus service within Australia.
- App: Use the My Optus app
- SMS: Use Optus SMS Menu. Postpaid: Text the number 1 (one) to 9999. Prepaid: Text the number 2 (two) to 9999
- Call: Dial 1509 and follow the self-service prompts shown in the Prepaid 1509 or Postpaid 1509 articles
You can get a snapshot of your usage in My Account. Click 'Show steps' to learn how.
Our 'My Plan' usage meters feature a summary and an expanded mode. The image below shows the summary mode of the My Plan usage meters.
To see the expanded mode, hover your mouse / tap on either the voice or data meter. The expanded mode displays the number of usage levels used, the next usage level and the time remaining until your plan resets and your bill is issued
The example below shows the expanded data usage meter, similar detail is shown when hovering over the voice meter
The usage summary table is just below the usage meter and summarises all of your transactions for the current month, including excluded and excess usage (where applicable)
To see individual calls / message / data sessions, up until your last bill, click the adjacent 'Usage Details' tab. More information on viewing detailed usage is available in this article
My Account displays usage up until your most recent bill / monthly period. To see older usage you'll need to download the bill that corresponds to the period you want to view. For help with viewing or downloading your bills, see this article.
For assistance with viewing roaming usage estimates, see this article.
The time and date of the last update is shown within the usage tab, it may take up to 24-48 hours for recent usage to show. Occasionally a network event may delay the update period. It's for this reason that the usage information in My Account should only be used as a guide.
Your exact usage will be detailed on your monthly bill.
Why can't I see my usage?
If you can't see your service in the My Services list:
- Have you linked the service to the My Account profile that you're logging into?
- Have you logged in using a service number rather than your My Account username?
- Is the service eligible for My Account linking?
Your usage information can take up 24-48 hours to show, if:
- Usage up until your most recent bill (to a max of 1000 unbilled records)
- Up to 60 usage records for Prepaid Services
- Calls made (including numbers dialled)
- SMS / MMS sent
- Data Use (including type and amount)
- Some Feature Use (eg. voicemail access)
- Approximate Pre-GST totals
The following usage information is not available or calculated in My Account.
- Usage details that have already been issued in a bill
- Usage in the last 12-24 hours
- Plan inclusions, bonuses, discounts or offers applied
- Usage via another provider's network
- Calls/SMS/MMS received
- Service/Feature charges or other fees.
- Credit/debit adjustments or recurring charges as these are applied when the invoice is issued
Usage records in My Account are a guide and do not represent an invoice and as such should not be used for taxation purposes.