An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: No wireless internet on my brand new acer aspire one...
- Check the toggle switch of your computer make sure that it is Enable - Check if you have 3rd party software that is installed to the computer, that can use to connect wirelessly. - Check the distance between your router and computer (100 meters is the maximum distance)
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most of the newer routers use a newer type of encryption (WPA or WPA2) which is not supported by older 802.11b hardware.
Either set the Linksys router to use WEP encryption, or get a newer 802.11g card for the old laptop which can use WPA or WPA2 encryption.
Older versions of Windows XP also need to be upgraded to Service Pack 3 or apply this patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=662bb74d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en
Is your Telstra/Bigpond ADSL modem has a built-in wireless router?
If the ADSL modem has a built-in wireless router and your laptop does not have a wireless card, then you have two options to connect your laptop to the ADSL wireless router/Internet -
1. Purchase a PCMCIA wireless adapter and insert it into the PCMCIA slot in your laptop. One of my favourites is made by Netgear.
2. Purchase a USB wireless adapter, the only disadvantage with this solution is, it uses a USB port and if your laptop has only one USB port. This is a problem if you need to connect other USB devices. Then you also need to purchase a 4 port USB hub to give you additional USB ports.
Solution- For windows XP
#1--On your computer in the right lower corner you will a green icon for linksys adaptor --
Right click on linksys icon- select option "use windows wireless configurastion --- Select Yes ---
Green box turn Grey --
#2-- Start - Control Panel-Network Connections ---
Rigfht Click on wireless network connection- Selct View Available wireless network - Here you can see your network --
I think Tech Support is hiring if you want a job.
If your using DHCP you can try to assign an IP address. Assign a channel on the router not auto-select. But it does sound like just a weak connection. Not hardware related. I'm sure your laptop is just fine.
Without spending alot of money, try another brand router. If it works, great. If you get the same results (bad connection), take the router back and get your money back.
If all else fails, take your laptop to a place that has a wireless internet connection (Circuit City, BestBuy, StarBucks, Etc..) and see if it works there. You may need to change the location of the router.