Question about Washing Machines
The error is an indication a motor speed problem. You will need to check the following:
- Check the wiring harness. Verify all connections between the Drive Motor, Motor Control Unit (MCU), and Central Control Unit (CCU).
NOTE: The MCU is a circuit board located in the vicinity of the Drive Motor on the bottom rear of the washer. To access the MCU, you will need to remove the back panel of the washer.
NOTE: The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located behind the wash tub. You will need to remove the top panel to access the CCU. This is accomplished by removing the three screws in the back of the washer that hold the top in place. Once the screws are removed, the top panel will slide back, then lift off.
- Check the Drive Motor. Perform a continuity check of the Drive Motor windings. Remove the connector plug and check across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 1 to 3. All readings should be approximately 6 ohms. HINT: You can also take this reading by removing connector 2 from the MCU and measuring across pins 1, 2 and 3. If the readings are good, this will also prove the wiring and connector good.
- Check the MCU. The connectors are numbered 1 to 3 (L to R). That is, with the MCU installed, connector 1 is on the bottom, followed by 2 in the middle, and 3 on top.
Connector 1 - is the serial communications link between the MCU and CCU and has three wires. At the opposite end, this will be the 2nd connector from the rear on the left-hand side of the CCU.
Connector 2 - is the link between the MCU and the Drive Motor. Pins 1, 2, and 3 on this connector are the Drive Motor windings. Pins 4 and 5 are for the tachometer.
Connector 3 – is the primary power connector. Pins 1 to 2 should read 120VAC with the door in the locked position. Pin 3 is ground. At the opposite end, this is the 4th connector from the right on the front of the CCU.
NOTE: All the connector pins are numbered R to L.
If your continuity readings are normal for the Drive Motor and you have verified all connectors, replace the MCU.
If any of the Drive Motor windings indicate readings higher that 6 ohms, replace the Drive Motor.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 13, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 28, 2015 | Whirlpool WFW94HEX Duet 5.0 cu. ft. Front...
From the manual I have
1. Press the power pad to turn on
press home pad to ensure home screen is displayed
2. Press the help pad. the main help screen is displayed.
3. Press the help and start stop pads for 3 sec simultainiously.
The factory test screen is displayed.
4. Press test load on the screen.
5. The contrast screen is displayed. Press the start/stop pad once to cycle through the screen
6. press start/stop pad. The test load screen is displayed.
More to come... I will try to copy and paste what it says. I can try to send a copy of the pdf if you give an email.
Oct 19, 2007 | GE WPGT9360EPL Top Load Washer
May 26, 2015 | Whirlpool Washing Machines
Mar 03, 2015 | Samsung WF218ANW 4.0 cu. ft. High...
Jun 14, 2014 | Hotpoint Ultima WF860 Front Load Washer
Oct 21, 2013 | Maytag Washing Machines
Nov 25, 2012 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Sep 06, 2012 | Indesit W 123 Front Load Washer
142 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!