Nothing works at all. It's plugged in and the breaker is fine.
There is usually a 125V, 20 AMP line fuse inside the microwave, mounted at the point where the power cord enters the back of the unit. Unfortunately, you will need to uninstall the oven (if this is an over the range model), UNPLUG it and remove the exterior case to access. The case comes off in various ways depending on manufacture and model.
If the model number you listed this question under is correct, you have THREE potential causes for a complete loss of power.
1. Line fuse
2. Line filter/noise filter circuit board
3. Thermal Cut-Out (Thermostat) for the Magnetron.
The line fuse is connected in line with the power cord inside the unit and is listed as part of item 11 under the "Blower-Motor" parts heading.
The line filter printed circuitboard is listed as item 19 (part number: R9800472) under the "Blower-Motor" heading.
The Thermostat for the Magnetron is listed as item 8 (W10254040) under the "Cavity" parts heading. The most expensive part is the line filter board, which runs about $25.
I would recommend you check the fuse, first. This the easiest and least expensive repair. It is also the most common.
If you managed to overheat the oven any time recently, you may want to check the thermostat to see if it is still good, next. It should read 0 ohms when measured out of the circuit across the terminals.
If the line fuse is blown, you can usually purchase a box of fuses at a hardware store for just a little more than what the manufacturer charges for a single fuse. 125V, 20AMP Ceramic Slow Blow fuses are recommended.
If you have any questions, or need additional assistance troubleshooting, please post back and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.
NOTE: Make sure you take any resistance readings with the microwave UNPLUGGED and the component under test isolated (removed) from the circuit. These ovens can blow a fuse by simply sitting idle. This can occur from any power fluctuations, brown outs, voltage spikes, etc. Or, it could be the symptom of a component that may have failed. If you find the internal fuse blown and replace it, only to have it blow again, you have a more significant problem than a simple blown fuse.
Jul 01, 2010 |
Amana AMV5206 Microwave Oven