I had this problem recently with my IP90. Both the black and color heads were clogged. After running the "canned" routines several times to clean the heads and deep clean the heads...still didn't help...here's what I did:
1. open the top lid to have the cartridges that are inserted in the print head to the middle of the printer.
2. remove both cartridges
3. What is left there is the print head..slightly move it to the right and gently lift the print head lock.
4. Grasp the print head and lift it out.
5. Have severasl paper towels hand and know that you will have color and bw ink on your fingers
6. Put the print head on the paper towel
7. Pour rubbing alcohol on the blk and color heads and let them sit of about 10-15 minutes.
8. after that dry the heads and re-insert them in the printer
9. I put new cartridges in the printer and ran clean and deep clean a few times.
10. May color and black and white print is back!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Take out the black cartridge once you've determined that you are completely out of black ink. You'll have to rely on the dark hues from the color cartridge to print in black.
Adjust the printer software settings. Once you take out the black cartridge, your printer's software will typically warn you that you are missing a cartridge. Follow the instructions for your printer to allow the printer to print without the black cartridge. Then set the printer to print in black and white, not color. This overrides the black cartridge and allows the printer to access the dark hues of the color cartridge.
Print a test page to ensure that your printer now prints black using the color cartridge.
Print your documents. Bear in mind that your documents may not appear as black as normal. Still, they should be dark enough to pass for black, depending on how much color ink you have and the strength grade of the ink.
To print without color ink go to START>control panel>PRINTERS & OTHER HARDWARES>PRINTERS & FAXES>Right click to your printer>PROPERTIES>MAINTAINANCE>INK CARTRIDGE SETTING>then select BLACK ONLY. I think it fix your problem.
From HP's website:
The printer will not operate unless all six ink cartridges are installed. Also, HP cannot guarantee the quality of refilled or remanufactured ink cartridges.
Leave the empty cartidge in and go to print, select the printer, click on preferences, then the paper/Quality tab. there select color and best. This way you wil be able to print your document. If I could be of further assistance, let me know. If this helps or solves the issue, please rate it. Thanks, Joe
some printers share the ink from color to black but you can select if you wants to use only black just go to printer than properies than select to use only black but you probably have to remove the empty color one