My GE microwave zmc1095sf03 burned I mean flames where coming out of the bottom. It seemed to me that a small wire was the problem, but of course GE said they would replace it with a super cheap model at 1/2 the price. How disappointing!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: burned out after 2 years
This may not help your spirit much, but it appears you are not alone:
And, I would refrain from buying any other GE anythings since they are trying to dump their entire consumer products (appliances) division.
I don't doubt some schlock Asian outfit like Funai will be willing to milk the name for a few years and build still more crappy products.
What a pity, still another formerly great American company.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Remove vent grille, then remove control panel. Check wire to cavity thermostat. Sometime wire bundle and small space causes poor terminal connections on this thermostat and will burn wire terminal. Cut off bad part of the wire, install a small terminal end, reconnect to thermostat. If thermostat is destroyed, also replace thermostat.
Yep, that sounds very much like the heating element burned out. It happens. You should be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer's website... or there may be a list of repair centers in the manual - pick one & try to order the heating element through them.
Sparks in microwaves are caused by metal things in there. What kind of plate - any metal or gold leaf decoration on it? Try a microwave safe dish.
Make sure you do not use metal items in microwaves.
I do not know the model number of your nuker, is it a new one or old? How long have you had it, and has it always done this?
Chances are the flames opened the oven cavity TCO, which acts as a flame sensor.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can also find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full
model number here.
Accessing some components (cavity TCO) for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
GE, couldn't even find the model number. They pretty much, in a nice way, told me I was out of luck, it would be $149. for them to tell me why it's not heating. If it's the magnatron tube, they'll cover the PART ONLY!!
I took in to ABT, where it was purchased, it's now, three days later, they still haven't called to let me know what the problem is and how much it will cost to repair.
I purchased a Panasonic oven for $79. and am making do for now.
It sounds like you're saying a flame and pop came out of the area where the internal electronics are?
If that's the case, then I would suspect a failed high-voltage transformer, bad magnetron or that another high-voltage component is arcing, like maybe damaged wiring, but that's rare unless...
... I hate to suggest it, but maybe a "critter" has made his way into the high-voltage section! That can cause some really "interesting" effects!
If the flame and pop are coming out of the cooking cavity, then it could be food debris or grease underneath the waveguide cover or in the waveguide.
I would say the likliest cause is a failed HV transformer. If it's still under warranty, I'd call Sears right away to verify that.
If it's not under warranty, you may want to pull it from the wall yourself and take it in to Sears or another shop yourself. You'll probably save about $50 as opposed to letting them come out to the home to service it.