Question about Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
8 YR old machien, will no longer spin although motor makes noise as if working. Took top off, on floor we seer busted plastic pcs which we assume is the motor coupler (diagram in generic repair book show this peice between motor and transmission). Destroyed plastic peices laying on ground with isolation disc. 3 questions:
1) DOES THIS SOUND LIKE AN EASY FIX (FOR EXAMPLE - WILL REPLACING THE PLASTIC COUPLING RESTORE SPIN?)
2) WHAT ARE POSSIBLE CAUSES OF COUPLER BUSTING?
3)HOW CAN WE TELL IF OTHER PART FAILURES CAUSE THIS (IE: TRANSMISSION, MOTOR...?)
Hello I believe you have pinpointed the problem accurately yourself.
1. It is an easy fix, if you said you got the top off then thats the hardest part. That will restore spin because it is the linkage between the motor and transmission which spins the inner tub.
2. The causes of the coupler busting are just wear and tear. Happens all the time. Main reason for it busting is because its plastic.
3. Thats probably all it is most of the time the transmission will just slip when it goes out and not lock up. Like I say this is common so it is not likely that it is anything other.
To fix it just pull cabinet off. Pop the pump off, then the motor. Then you can access the coupling. When you buy the coupling it will come in 3 pieces. Two plastic coupling gears and the isolator. Now to put the coupling on the motor and transmission use something like a socket with a hammer to knock the coupling flush up onto the shafts of each. Put it all back together and you should be working again.. Hope this Helps
Posted on Feb 18, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 17, 2010 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Feb 26, 2010 | Kenmore 24902 Top Load Washer
Feb 17, 2010 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Sep 10, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Jul 14, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Apr 28, 2009 | Kenmore 23822 Top Load Washer
Feb 23, 2009 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
95 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: