- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It may need more power to it available at start up. try plugging it directly on the wall without extension cord. check the amps of the motor and use a circuit capable of delivering the power to the compressor motor
It is a 15 amps motor and will need 6 times (90) that amount of amps to start up. Plugging it into a 15 amps circuit may work but a 20 amps circuit is more apropiate. Kitchen circuits are 20 amp circuits.
You can try plugging the compressor directly into the wall and see if it refills with air without trippiing the circuit breaker. Using an extension cord should be done with a #12 or #10 wire gage type, smaller type will cause a power loss in the cord and will cause the compressor motor to trip the circuit breaker.
Power formula is I square R, or the amps multiplied by itself and by the resistance of the wire. E.G. 90x90x4 = 3200 watts. This is at start up. To find the voltage drop divide the watts by current, 3200/90 = .... get the point? Keep voltage drops to a minimum, use heavy wire gage extension cords.
sounds like it needs a new start capacitor for the motor and never use a extension cord plug it directly into the outlet and use longer air hose.using extension cords for a air compressor is bad for the motor
If the tank is full (pressurized): Nothing will happen when the switch is turned on. Bleed some air from the tank to see if the motor turns on when the pressure drops.
If the tank is empty or low on pressure: First check the circuit breaker to the outlet the compressor is plugged into. Next, somewhere on the compressor, usually on the motor, there is a circuit breaker. They are usually a small round white or black button that if tripped will stick out about 1/4 inch or more. Push that back in and check to see if your motor runs. The usual reason for these circuit breakers to pop is because the compressor is being run on an extension cord. Rule of thumb for compressors: run longer air lines, NEVER use extension cords. If it is absolutely necessary to run an extension cord it should be 10-guage and no longer than 25 feet.
The motor has a manual reset thermal overload protector switch. If the motor overheats for any reason, the overload protector will shut off the motor. The motor must be allowed to cool down before resetting the overload switch and restarting. It is located on the motor housing on the side opposite where the pump and hose connections are. The reason this switch shuts off is because of low voltage problems caused by either a too low amp rating on the circuit it's plugged into or by using an extension cord. It is always safer and better for the motor to run longer air hoses than to use extension cords.
This may seem a bit simplistic but how are you hooked up to the outlet? Are you using an extension cord or is the compressor plugged in only using the supplied power cord? If you are using an extension cord then you are going to pop the breaker every time you use it. Infact the manual states
"Never use an extension cord with this product. Use additional air hose instead of an extension cord to avoid power loss and permanent motor damage. Use of an extension cord voids the warranty." Air compressors don't like extension cords. It simply draws to much for an extension cord to handle.
Depending on whether or not your warranty is out there is a simple solution. Find the biggest gauge extension cord you can
If your not using an extension cord and it's ran in the past where it's
plugged in now then check the circuit because there must be new draw on
You said the breaker is 20amp. correct? The compressor should be run on a breaker dedicated to the compressor only.
Even though you should use a longer hose instead of a longer power cord you can get away with it. But forget about wire gauge size you need to think wire diameter. The extension cord I made for my compressor is approximately 3/4" thick. That is the only way I was able to use an extension cord on mine. A good place to get that size cable is a boat supply store. The cable used for shore power on boats works. Hope this helps but if not please let me know and I'll try and help anyway I can to solve your problem.
unplug it and see if you can turn the motor pulley by hand, it should turn freely. If it does, check to see if the motor runs with the belt off. If the motor runs by itself then either the belt was too tight or the compressor is seized.