I have a Viking VGRT360-6bss that now has a gas leak. We are turning the gas off at the ball valve under the range top each time it is used, but what a pain that is! I have tried to find a parts list and/or appliance site that sells parts for the Viking brand to no avail. The unit is about 10 years old. Any ideas or information would be very helpful.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This sounds like a gas leak at the gas control valve for the oven, probably somewhere just past the control valve. If the leak was before the valve, you would either hear or smell gas leaking all the time.
The line could simply be loose at the fitting or the gas valve could be faulty. You could also have a leak somewhere at or before the oven burner assembly.
At any rate, this condition can be dangerous. The oven gas leak (any gas leak) should be diagnosed by a competent technician and the cause(s) of the gas leak determined as soon as possible and corrected.
I have the exact same range and the same problem.
There was also a gas smell that burned my eyes
The whooshing sound is because there is too much pressure in the burner, forcing some of the gas to come out where the orifice goes into the burner. I know this because there was a carbon build up in that location.
It turns out that the oven burner was drilled and then formed into the "u" shape while very hot. That distorted the holes in the burner.
I got a small drill the same size as one of the "good" round holes and re-drilled all the holes in the burner. The only thing to be aware of is the "cross over" holes that go from one side to the other are a little smaller then the main holes that go around the perimeter.
Now there is no smell, no whooshing sound and it works beautifully.
Needless to say, we were very disappointed having spent the extra money for a supposedly "quality" product only to have it perform badly with no service man with any knowledge of the problem.
I went through the whole range just to check it out. I found 22 problems. Mostly small, but things that should not have been allowed to get through quality control. Seems there is very little of that in Vikings Mexico plant.
One thing in particular that was a safety issue (other than the oven burner) was a plastic grommet meant to protect a wire going through some sheet metal. The grommet was too small and was just sitting around the wire instead of locking into the hole in the sheet metal. Thusly, the wire was aloud to "chafe" on the metal where it went through.
I suggest you look very carefully at as much of the range as you can, just to be sure.
If you have a burner lit and gas build up, strong smell etc., my advice would be to stop using the oven immediately! You no way gas should come out, build up, to the point you smell it, Especially while a burner is lit. Dangerous condition.
i have a 2 year old stove, and i smell the gas every time i walk by it, i when on a mission to find it, and it was coming from the safety valve in side the oven, right where the burner sits on. open the oven door when all the house doors and windows are close and smell it and check if is coming from the in side of the oven, not all gas leaks are from the same place, that's like a hands on job, to find a gas leak. you can also check every valve with some soupy water this are the ones that suplie gas to the burners.
We had a hurricane come through and power was out at our house for 2 weeks. The top burners worked but the oven would not. Our outside gas grill worked perfectly also using the utility provided natural gas. We were told by Viking that the oven is designed to work only when there is electric power. This is a safety feature, according to Viking.
Check the amperage draw to the igniter, if it is over 3amps and no gas, first off check the valve on the manifold behind then control panel if the valve is open then check the wiring to the thermal valve if it is connected then it would appear that the thermal valve is defective.
staunch has no idea what he is talking about. It has nothing to do with the igniter, or it would fire up at all. Since you are saying that your oven does ignite and heat up, it is the internal gas valve that is the problem.
The way all recent (20 year at least) are designed, the gas valve internally can not open unless the igniter is working, for obvious reasons ... boom! The igniter circuit allows the gas valve to open, once it detects that the igniter is ready to "ignite" a gas flow. BUT, the valve can be bad in the AMOUNT of gas being delivered. Your's is allowing too much gas, more than can be burned, hence the smell.
DON'T use the oven until you have a qualitifed tech come out and replace the valve. It is very dangerous for you to do it yourself.