Question about Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sparks pops odd burned smell

Behind the perforated metal on the upper right side inside, you can see sparks, makes a horrible sound, pops and strong burned smell. looks like it could catch fire. I have never seen this in a microwave, it appears to be a major malfunction. is it time to dump it only 5 years old?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 541 Answers

I would certainly take it to a repair shop if you want to try and salvage it. Until then keep it off and unplugged.

Posted on Feb 14, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Ge spacemaker xl1400 model# jvm141obc Turntable still turns..but while making grinding sound Please help


My wife noticed a strong smell of something burning inside our home. Luckily we were home. The microwave was NOT on...and the turntable was turning and making that grinding sound. When I opened the door, the turntable kept turning....all digital lights were OFF. The microwave does not work. I am extremely angry that this unit was able to continue to grind unnoticed. If we were not home, I assure you that this would have caused a kitchen fire. The upper inside portion was extremely hot to the touch and the cabinet on top of the over-the-range microwave was also very hot. This would have easily caused ignition and a subsequent kitchen fire. I am going to report this to the UL.

Feb 10, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

After about 2 weeks of use, the microwave began to make a horrible buzzing noise from the "box" in the upper right hand corner on the back. It also smelled horrible. It then proceeded to stop working...


Two weeks? This is a warranty problem. The buzzing noise was probably either from high-voltage arcing or an overloaded transformer trying to drive a shorted component. The smell is from something electrical getting fried. Remember it; the next time you smell it, you'll know to pull the plug.

Oct 12, 2010 | Sunbeam SMW777 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool MH1150XMQ0 see sparks inside the upper right. Is this anything to do with the waveguide ? where is waveguide cover?


Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually on the right side of the cavity and is about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.

It provides critical protection for the magnetron.

Your owner's manual may show you how to remove the cover.

You can download Whirlpool owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

Otherwise, you can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I recommend that you bookmark that link to your favorites.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 30, 2010 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Smoke coming from circular panel on upper inside of microwave. It has the smell of electrical burning.


This is usually due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind this panel, called the "waveguide cover".

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart or Lowe's.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.

You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 15, 2010 | Jenn-Air JMV8166BAS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

FLASHES INSIDE OF MIRCOWARE AFTER IT IS STARTED AND MAKE NOISE


It could be a magnetron sparks to the open metal inside the m/w cavity or some broken wire on high voltage side. It is not HV transformer (when burn create a lot of smoke and bad smell). Magnetron needs to be replace.

Dec 03, 2008 | Whirlpool GT1195SH Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Hi. I have a 1996 Built-in Whirlpool Microwave (#MH7115XBB-5) Once I set a time and power setting, this built-in microwave will start. After one (1) second there are sparking sounds and then a real strong...


You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams here.

Thewaveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually about thesize of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.


Oct 21, 2008 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Loud grinding sound and mechanical odor


Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

Please reply back with more details if this does not solve your problem.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Aug 10, 2008 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We cannot seem to get a Delonghi AC925CHS microwave from Argos which will work properly. We had the first one for about 3 months before all a sudden it started making a whiring sound and then the bulb went...


> silver card thing

This is the waveguide cover and it provides important protection for the magnetron.

The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jul 10, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Door inside and metal vent area smells strongly of fumes


Did you find an answer toyour question?
My microwave smells also of petrol in the same areas.

Jun 05, 2008 | GE JVM1653 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave caught fire


It sounds like a failed high-voltage transformer.

That oven retails for about $80 right now, so I don't think a non-warranty repair is economical.

But since a FLAME(!) came out of it, I would think you have a VERY strong case to "convince" Sharp to give you a replacement pronto...

You can contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277).

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 17, 2008 | Sharp R-306LK Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven Logo

326 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Frigidaire Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Electrolux
Electrolux

Level 3 Expert

4342 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Frigidaire Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...