When I close the lid on my d800 when connected to external monitor...no signal to monitor...monitor goes black......monitor is compatible Dell product directly connected to the laptop. Monitor displays and functions properly when laptop screen is also open...both screens active.
I want to use the laptop at the desk with only monitor active and laptop lid closed........is there a setting??
Re: D800 laptop will not display on external monitor
Most laptops go into standby mode when the lid is closed. To stop this, (Windows XP) click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Power Options, then click on the Advanced tab, select "Do nothing" in the drop-down for "When I close the lid of my portable computer"
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you see power lights but nothing appears on the screen, it could be a "POST" (Power-on Self Test) problem or simply LCD problem.
Here are some steps that you can try. One of these may work on your case.
1. Remove the battery and the ac adapter then press the power button for at least 20 seconds to drain electric charges left on the system. (You may need to repeat this step to get it work.)
2. If above step doesn't work, try to plug in an external monitor and see if you get display from the external monitor.
3. If you get display from the external monitor, I'm sure your having problem with the LCD components. In this case, check and replace faulty LCD backlight, LCD cable or LCD inverter. The LCD inverter is often a culprit.
4. Try to reinsert the memory module/s (RAM) of the unit, try using one RAM at a time to see if it works. A faulty RAM will cause the laptop not to POST.
5. If reinserting the RAM doesn't help, most likely your motherboard needs to be replaced.
You can check to see if the rest of the laptop is working ok, by toggling to an external monitor, by holding down your function key and hitting the monitor swap key, usually f5 thru f8, depending on the laptop. If you get a good display on a external monitor, then you are down to needing a LCD inverter board, or a new LCD.
Using the Display
When you start the computer with an external device (such as an external
monitor or projector) attached and turned on, the image may appear on either the
display or the external device.
Press <Fn><F8> to switch the video image to the integrated
display only, the integrated display and an external CRT monitor simultaneously,
an external CRT monitor only, the integrated display and an external DVI monitor
simultaneously, external DVI monitor only, and external CRT monitor and external
DVI monitor simultaneously.
you have an issue of no display and as you see that u are betting the knocking sounds, could u plzz let me know are you getting these sounds when you power on the computer with the Fn and the power button, if you are able to listen to the sound but there is nodispaly then its a no video issue . in order to determine whether its an issue with the LCd you can connect an external monitor to the laptop and power on the laptop then hold the Fn key down and then press the F8 key and release both the but keys, look for the display on the m#external monitor , toggle the keys a couple of times , if you are able to see the display on the external monitor and not on the LCD , then u have to open the cover above the keyboard (hinge cover) and reseat the LCD cable, if there is still no display then the LCD has to be replaced.