Question about Whirlwind FH-778 Air Conditioner

1 Answer

Where can my husband buy refrigerant?

He has his EPA license and he has went to school to become HVAC technician. He is getting ready to start purchasing equipment and supplies needed to start his own business but we are uncertain what stores sell the refrigerant that you can only purchase with yout EPA license. I did an online search and discovered that Sam's Club sells R-134-A Refrigerant in 30 pound disposable cylinder but I haven't had any luck finding another company in our area that sells refrigerant, could anyone tell us of a store or a supplier that sells refrigerant? We live in North Wilkesboro, NC... thanks for your help!

Posted by on

  • Mark Egan May 11, 2010

    A start would be WW Grainger, although I do not know where the closest location is to N. Wilkesboro. I would expect there is a location there though.

    But if he is going to be in the HVAC business, he will need to know where the local Trane, Carrier, Rheem/Ruud, and other manufacturer distributors are as well. He will always be in need of fan motors, capacitors, compressors, complete systems, etc.

    I know as I have been in the business in one way, shape or form for over 30 years.


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 56 Answers

Is your husband a licensed contractor? If not alot of the hvac supplies stores will not sell to the general public. Hope this answers your question.

Posted on Feb 12, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to put refrigerant in ac unit

Long before you recharge an A/C unit - you need to locate and correct the cause of the lost charge - otherwise - you'll be buying refrigerant over and over again. If that wasn't bad enough, all this lost refrigerant contributes to the depletion of the ozone layer.

Typically, refrigerant is added to systems with a manifold gauge set - or the system refrigerant is reclaimed and a new charge is "weighed in" as per the nameplate data on the A/C unit - plus additional amounts if the condenser is located remotely from the evaporator as is the case for "split" systems.

A license / certificate from the EPA is required to purchase refrigerant - so unless you already have some - you're not going to get very far.


Jul 14, 2015 | Heating & Cooling

3 Answers

How to refill R22 on Reem unit

Some HVAC 'experts' install coil lines without a pressure outlet. (ecspecially older units) In which case, you will have to install one. Usually they are located outside very close to the compressor unit on the inflow copper line. If not present, you can chase the lines back to the cooler head in the furnace/cooling unit plenum. It would be visible at some point in the lines if it was installed in the first place.

Jun 03, 2014 | Whirlwind FH-778 Air Conditioner

1 Answer


It is against federal law to work with refrigerants without an EPA license. You cannot buy the special tools and equipment required to work with refrigerant without a license. most a/c do not have a charging valve the pros have to solder on a part. best left to the pros to do this, if you do not have a license. good-day !

Jul 07, 2011 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

How do I recharge the freon in my unit? model is 38CKB060300

Hello, freon should be charged by a hvac technician with a epa card. But the way you charge it in is hook up the manifold gauges to the unit tjen take the yellow and hook it up to your refrigerant bottle. If this is a R-22 unit then you add vapor refrigerant to the low side of the system untill your superheat is correct if it is a fixed orifice system, however if it is a txv system then you chek the subooling. If it is a 410a system then the same principle applies however you flip the cylinder upside down and add liquid refrigerant through the low side a little at a time here is a link that shows you proper charging methods

May 27, 2011 | Carrier 38CKC036 Air Conditioner

1 Answer

How topup gas

Depends on what refrigerant is in the system. This is not something you can do yourself either way due to the fact that an EPA license is required to purchase any type of refrigerant besides R-134A. You are going to have to have an HVAC contractor do it because you also need a set of manifold gauges and know what they are telling you. By the time you purchase all of this it will be cheaper to hire it done and hooking up to the wrong line could cause the refrigerant canister to explode.

Jan 30, 2011 | LG LSC121PMA Split System Air Conditioner

2 Answers

How do you add freon to a mitsubishi split system

If its R22 you have to have a license to buy it. But outside unit on the larger copper line will be an access will look like a 3/8 copper fitting with a cap on it there is also one on the small line. You will need a tank of r22 and a set of gauges. If the compressor is running you add freon til the large copper line starts to sweat. The small line (high side) should not slug or have the gage on it jump this means its overful or has air contamination in it. Always add thru the larger line.good luck

Aug 12, 2010 | Mitsubishi Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

How to recharge a Comfortmaker 10 A/C with R22 refrigerant

Call an HVAC service company. You can't even buy R-22 without an EPA card. And you'll need to proper set of gauges to read the high and low side pressures and, to do it right, be able to compute the dry/bulb/wet bulb temp to determine the proper charge with a charging chart.

May 26, 2010 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Parts list for Tempstar PGAD60E1K1? Anyone have?

Tempstar will only sell to licensed dealer/contractors. You will have to purchase through your local HVAC contractor that deals Tempstar. They will be able to cross your model # to the correct parts. However, you must have an EPA license to purchase the compressor.

Oct 06, 2009 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

How do you install the txv valve for a 13 seer r-22 goodan system an do i need to install a hard start kit with it

Due to EPA regulations and the complex tools and equipment, I will suggest that you call a EPA licensed technician to do this job. The following is the basic outline of what will be required of this technician.

To install the TXV valve, all of the freon must be recovered from the system. The copper lineset at the indoor unit will then need to be cut open. Since the lines are no longer sealed and have been exposed to the air, filter dryers(s) should be brazed in. After the TXV is brazed in, the system needs to be placed into a vacuum per EPA (to verify no leaks). At that point the old refrigerant may be put back in to the system if it is still OK..

The hard start is really unrelated to the TXV operation. It is not necessary to do this job. Although it does not hurt to install one. Basically the hard start will lower the start/run amperage of the compressor. These are usually used in a "tight" compressor scenarios.

I hope this helps:)

If the person who does this is not licensed by the EPA, the penalties could be horrific. Be warned.

Jul 03, 2008 | Goodman Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Hi, recently had a concreter disconnect my airconditioner while pouring a concrete slab. While doing this they let all the refrigerant escape. How/ who can replace this ?

Do not know where you are located, but these people should have never tried to disconnect the unit. Most states require the a person working on a HVAC unit be licensed and the EPA requires that anyone working with freon also be licensed. Venting freon to the atmosphere is a big time no no and subject to a very large fine. I would require this contractor to hire at their expense, a licensed a/c contractor and have them pay for it since they caused the problem. Freon is getting to be very expensive

May 14, 2008 | Heating & Cooling

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

Related Topics:

110 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlwind Heating & Cooling Experts


Level 2 Expert

382 Answers

Dennis Boxerman

Level 3 Expert

903 Answers

Bill Long

Level 3 Expert

587 Answers

Are you a Whirlwind Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides