Propane gas burner now has red flame instead of blue
We own a Hotpoint Propane gas stove and recently it is showing a red yellow flame instead of blue on a few surface burners. Should I try to clean it or adjust it? And how? Propane gas company asked me not to use it and have one of their servicemen come up to the house for a service call. I don't think it is that serious. Do you?
Same red flame problem and it's my stove top, furnace and water heater.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Propane gas burner now has red flame instead of blue
Hi, If you have the same problem with your stove , furnace and water heater, Then you look for things in common that would cause the problem. Any change in the flames is an indication of a change in the fuel/air mix. The item that would be common to all would be the pressure diaphragm. This is not something a customer should work on without a through knowledge of how they work. I think you would be well advised to have a service call. Good Luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
the modification from natural to propane or from propane to natural gas requires a jet change for all burners and an air flow shroud position change to get the correct blue flame ( correct air /fuel ratio)
it is a job for a gas fitter who will have the correct jets for each burner and will know how to adjust the shrouds
When converting from natural gas to propane you have to switch the regulator to propane. then on most modern stoves you have to turn the orifice hoods down to adjust for the higher pressure of propane. there are some stoves that you have to purchase a propane conversion kit with different orifices for the burners and oven burners.
Yellow usually means more air than gas mixing at the burner. The top of the stove lifts off. There are adjustment screws in front of every burner. Turn the burner on after first locating the screw. Turn the adjustment screw until desired flame is achieved. You want a flame with a yellow tip and the body of the flame blue. Please be very careful not to get burned. Hope this helps.
propane is higher pressure than natural gas, there should be some orifices on the stove for the top burners, some have them near the top in a metal clip, some have them in a lower location, usually you can see them from the back of the stove. the oven and broiler may only need "tightened down", and the air blend will probably need adjusting for "flame color", you don't want yellow flame tips, good luck!
Most gas stoves are shipped for natural gas .You need to check the orifice on each burner to see if they are for natural gas or propane.If you ordered propane the stove should have been shipped with the orifices.They may be in a bag with your stove documents.
The flame is 'yellow tipping'. This means there is incomplete combustion and will leave black soot on everything. Did you recently start using propane? If so the stove will need to be converted to propane use, or the incoming gas pressure is too high. You may need a gas professional to check the gas pressure.
ALL YOUR FLAMES SHOULD BE CLEAN BLUE FLAMES WITH NO WHITE OR YELLOW TIPS OR FLAMES !!!!
YELLOW FLAME = DIRT OR PAINT?
WHITE = LACK OF AIR
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR STOVE IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH COMBUSTION AIR. INPROPER AIR ADJUSTMENTS OR LACK OF AIR WILL CAUSE A WHITE TIP ON THE FLAME ... THAT IS CARBON-MONIXIDE !!!
A CLEAN BLUE FLAME EMITTS CARBON-DIOXIDE AND IS NORMAL.
IF YOU USED AN AIR-GUN TO PAINT, CHANCES ARE YOUR BURNERS HAVE A SLIGHT COATING ON THEM AND HOPEFULLY WILL BURN OFF IN TIME.
TRY OPENING ALL YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS IN YOUR HOUSE ...
AND TURN ALL BURNERS ON AND LET THEM BURN FOR AN HOUR. DO NOT LKEAVE SIGHT OF THE STOVE, BUT KEEP NEAR A OPEN WINDOW.
NOTICE !!! MOST GAS COMPANIES WILL COME OUT AT NO CHARGE TO CHECK GAS, AND FOR CARBON-MONOXIDE.(C0) NOT (CO2).