Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
We have a kenmore elite smartheat quietpak9 dryer. While the dryer is on, the door will pop open slightly, just enough to turn the dryer off, but leave the light on. The clothes don't drop out. It happens with both large and small loads of laundry. What is causing this? I haven't seen this problem posted anywhere else.
1. Unplug washer.
2. Remove the outer portion of the door bellow. This is the gray rubber boot around the door. Feel around the edge of the door bellow where it attaches to the front of the washer. You will find a wire retaining hoop in the seam between the rubber and the front case. Follow this wire hoop to the bottom of the door bellow and you will find a tension spring. Carefully, stretch this spring apart and remove the wire hoop.
3. Pull the rubber bellow from the door facing on the front of the washer being careful not to rip or tear it. Once removed, fold the rubber backwards inside the drum so you can access behind the front panel. DO NOT remove the rubber bellow from the wash tub.
4. The door latch assembly is located behind the front panel of the washer on the right hand side. Locate and remove the three screws on the washer front that hold the door latch assembly in place. The whole assembly should come free from the washer front and be held by a plastic mounting bracket and several wire connectors.
5. Carefully remove the latch assembly from the plastic mounting bracket BEFORE attempting to unplug any wires. It makes it much easier to access if you do.
6. Unplug the wire connectors using care not to break any of the wires. You may want to write them down, but I believe they will only plug into their respective slots.
7. Remove the old door latch and install the new one in the reverse order of the steps I just presented to you. Plug the wires back in first, then place the whole assembly back into the plastic mounting bracket, and then reattach to the front of the washer.
8. Now, when you get the reinstalling the rubber door boot, you may want to get the assistance of a second pair of hands as it can be difficult sometimes to manipulate the wire retainer back into place. Carefully reattach the rubber bellow to the door facing on the front of the washer first.
9. Starting at the top of the door bellow at the 12 o'clock position begin inserting the wire hoop back into the groove. Work your way around with both hands to the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. (This is where you could use those second pair of hands). While holding a slight downward tension on the wire hoop to keep it in place, pull the tension spring apart enough to snap the remaining part of the hoop into place at the bottom. Once you've completed these steps make sure the door closes and latches properly. NEVER slam a door with an electronic latch. They can break easily.
Now plug the washer back in and test operate. NOTE: You can run diagnostics on these washers by referring to the tech sheet provided by the manufacturer. The tech sheet is located behind the lower panel under the door, or along the interior cabinet walls. Included, are instructions on how to run diagnostics and troubleshooting tips associated with the list of fault codes. It is recommended that this tech sheet remain inside the washer to prevent it from being lost.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 13, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 23, 2015 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Jun 18, 2012 | Kenmore HE5t Steam 4.0 cu. ft. Front-Load...
Apr 06, 2012 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Hello and welcome to FixYa
DL f is a door lock error and is caused due to an issue with the door lock when it is unable to lock/unlock. Please check the door lock mechanism/door switch assembly and replace the part that has gone bad so that the issue is resolved. Please get back to me if you have any other questions.
Oct 28, 2011 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 07, 2011 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Mar 02, 2010 | Washing Machines
Dec 24, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 10, 2007 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
190 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: