Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Hello I wrote you week ago about problem with my Kenmore HE5t F11 error, find part.Thank you for helping saving money.I already got the part and now I need to know if you can help me do the repair by mysel. Can you send me a video or step by step instructions?I'll really appreciate.ThanksRodrigo
"F11" is a Serial Communications error between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and Motor Control Unit (MCU). The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located directly behind the wash tub. The MCU is the Drive Motor Control board and is located in the rear of the washer adjacent to the Drive Motor on the left-hand side (facing from the rear with the back panel removed). The wiring harness can also cause the error, but it is not as common a problem.
Whirlpool is the manufacturer of both model washers and recommends the following troubleshooting advice. Remove the top panel of the washer by removing the three screws holding it in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, the panel slides back, then off. Remove the rear panel of the washer for access to the drive motor and MCU. Now check the following:
- Check the wire harness connections between the CCU, the MCU and Drive Motor. Make sure all connections are attached and making good contact. Check for any broken wires or connector pins.
- Check the Drive Motor to see if it free spins and that the belt is still attached and not slipping. If the motor is seized, replace it. If the belt is broken or worn, replace it as well.
- Check the MCU. Connector 1 is the Serial Communications Link between the MCU and CCU. Connector 2 is the connector to the drive motor. Resistance checks across pins 1, 2, & 3 are the motor windings. Connector 3 is the power supply - 120VAC should be read across pins 1 and 2 with the door in the locked position. NOTE: The connectors are read 1, 2, and 3 from the bottom to the top with the MCU installed.
- Check the CCU. Verify connectors 7 and 11 are properly installed. Facing from the front of the washer, connector 7 is the 4th connector from the RIGHT along the front. This is MCU Power. Connector 11 is the Serial Communications link from the CCU to the MCU and is located along the left hand side of the CCU (the connectors are numbered 11 through 14 back to front).
- Check the Drive Motor. Remove the connector and perform resistance checks on the motor connector pins. Readings across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 1 to 3 should read 6 ohms.
In most cases this is an indication of a failed CCU. This is an easy repair that the average do-it-yourselfer can accomplish on their own. If the washer is still under a warranty, parts and labor would be covered. With no warranty, a replacement parts will vary in price depending on where you get them. There are several good websites available that you can order parts on line and have shipped directly to you.
NOTE: Remove all the connectors from the CCU ONE AT A TIME and reconnect to see if the error code goes away BEFORE you decide to purchase a new one. It is not common, but sometimes a flaky connection can generate error codes.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 13, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 30, 2016 | Dryers
Jan 18, 2015 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Jan 18, 2018 | Kenmore Elite HE5t Washer
Sep 06, 2011 | Kenmore Elite HE5t Washer
Here is a tip that I wrote about dryers and noises...
It will help you determine what is happening there...
Dryer Repair Squeaks, Grinding, Clicking and Knocking Noise
Asker's Testimonial "That answer was very informative - thank you for taking the time to educate me. " - teresa241964
Dec 31, 2010 | Kenmore Dryers
Jun 02, 2010 | 2006 Dodge Stratus
Feb 01, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 03, 2009 | Washing Machines
Oct 06, 2008 | Washing Machines
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
151 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: