OVERHEATING OF THE PLUG-IN AND THE CORD IN GENERAL
I THINK THAT DUE TO THE LENGTH OF THE ELECTRICAL CORD IS THE REASON FOR THE PLUG AT THE WALL GETTING HOT ENOUGH TO MELT THE COVERING UNLESS I UNPLUG IT AND LET IT COOL DOWN? WHATS WITH THE OVERHEATING THING??
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It appears that for some reason, the connection at the extension cord, overheated. Could be caused by: 1. a problem with the vacuum unit (bearings, jamming up, something like that)
2. The extension cord itself was defective. Could have been abused, moisture could have broken down the "contact" or the point of contact or blades of the extension were loose and caused excessive current draw at that point, overheating the device.
Or, it could have been a factory fault with the extension.
Plug your blower into a good receptacle, and see how it runs. If it is
sluggish or not coming up to speed, the problem could be in the unit.
Check manufacturer's recommendation for extension cord size and length.
there is approximately one OME of resistance per foot of power cord. the power cord must be sized according to the amps drawn. if the cord is undersized the motor will not get enough power. the results are a hot cord and probably a hot plug. a loos plug will also over heat, you may need to replace the outlet in the wall as well, get a 12 AWG cord if you are using a 100 foot cord. I personally would never use a 14 AWG if I had a choose, but if the cord was 25 feet or less that would probably be ok. if you are still using the old cord or if the wall outlet is damaged this could cause the ossolating current.
Hi, the same thing happened to me and is quite an easy fix,
1 remove the plug from the wall socket.
2 Inside of the drum at 12 o clock (above the door on the inside) is a thermal cut out which has tripped due to overheating.
3 Remove two screws on the retaining clip and take the thermal cutout out. This should be self resetting but for some reason it has not reset (a continuity test with a multi-meter will prove this is the problem)
4 Give it a sharp tap on the bench and it will re-set ( if this sounds too extreme go out and buy a new one but trust me it will work)
You might want to remove the electric plug from the wall and spread the prongs just a little bit, it sounds like the plug might be loose in the wall socket.....try it in another wall socket and see if the problem continues to exist...generally it you get the same result from similar wall sockets...you may have looseness in the electrical plug...meaning that you might have been unplugging the cord by grabbing the cord and snatching versus unplugging with the plug itself. Hope this helps.
Actually you should buy and install an AC wall outlet. An AC uses more amperage than most any other appliance due to the fact it has 2 motors the compressor and the blower / fan motor. An AC wall plug has larger terminals so that the plug does not ever heat. Changing the cord to a different and smaller terminal plug is a bad choice due to the danger of overheating the wall outlet terminals. You can buy the AC horizontal terminal outlets at any hardware store. Unless you have a 110V AC unit you will also have to run a 220V #10 Romex (3 wire) with ground to the outlet to be in code.. An AC unit 1 HP (10,000) BTU or larger requires over 15 Amps for start up. Those that are 20,000 BTU or larger obviously require more than 15 amps as a power source.
Check the dryer power cord for any signs of melting or charring. It could just be a loose connection. Then.....
Check the wall plug - there's a possibility the wall socket is either worn or the wiring to the socket isn't tight. The socket will need to be removed to check this, so make sure the power is off first.
I would advise not to use the grill or the plug it plugs into before determining what the problem is. It could be the grill cord, or the wall plug.
If you have been in the habit of pulling the cord plug out of the wall by tugging on the cord, then chances are the problem is broken conductors inside of the wire insulation. One way to test this is to attempt plugging the unit into a totally different wall outlet. If the cord and outlet heat up again, chances are the cord needs to be replaced (if possible). If the both do not heat up, then the outlet wiring connections inside of the wall need to be checked.
Bad wiring connections either in the wall, or in the cord, will generate heat, when will then conduct to the other connector. So it is difficult to use heat as the indicator of which connector is bad.
Overheating issues are considered as safety issues and are take very sincerely by Computer manufacturer. Generally, overheating occurs due to any mechanical fault. So, you may contact the customer service of the Computer manufacturer to get any sort of assistance.
The problem is not the power cord, it maybe the length of the venting. Every elbow is equivalent to 8 more feet of pipe. Not sure which model you have. How long is the length of vent? Does it go right out the wall?