I've got a ge stackable washer and dryer. we bought it used, and in moving it into our apartment i broke the post on the dryer timer. i replaced the timer, and in doing so, broke the resister on the timer. i replaced the resister, but now, as soon as i press the start button, the breaker trips. it's a gas dryer, so it shouldn't require more than a 20 amp breaker, right? i know the breaker is okay, because there is a hot-water heater plugged into it that runs fine. i unplugged the hot-water heater and tried the dryer again with the same result. is there something i could have done while replacing the timer or resister that would cause this to happen? should i just give up and call someone?
Re: dryer trips breaker as soon as i try to start it.
Use or borrow a volt ohm meter and check for a grounded hot wire. You may also be exceeding the start up load on the 20 amp breaker. Test this theory (after you make sure that there are no ground faults) by starting the dryer in a "air fluff" mode without heat. If the dryer starts in the "no heat mode", switch the heat on - if you blow the breaker you know that the 20 amp breaker cannot handle it. Before you do any of the above - check your dryer manual for the service requirments. If you don't have the manual go to the mfg. web site and download it.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Always unplug the appliance before working on it. I would suggest checking the circuit breaker in the breaker box for your apartment, to see if it has tripped. You have probably already done this, but try to reset (open all the way and then close) the circuit breaker. Plug the power cord in again and try to operate the dryer. If it trips the circuit breaker again, there is a short circuit or a ground, and you should unplug the machine and diagnose the problem. 240 volts AC, when shorted or grounded can start fires or kill people. Many Dryers are equipped with a "non-resettable thermal fuse". When the air being blown through the dryer gets too hot, this thing melts and opens up the entire power circuit.The dyer doesn't do anything, as if it had no power. This non-resettable thermal fuse can usually be purchased from the manufacturer or a good appliance supply store, and comes in a kit which also includes a new thermostat, to replace the one that probably failed and overheated the machine to start with. Get a friend who is an Electrician to help you if you are at all unsure of replacing parts in your power circuit. Be sure to unplug the machine / use a VOM to check it dead before you touch anything electrical. BE SAFE. 240 Volts AC is not just playing around.
The drum rides on a bearing in the rear which cause the squeal. The squeal eventually cuts into the bearing and the whole drum begins to rub against the heating element. This causes the breaker to trip. How it works: GE clothes dryer
You will need to get 230v to allow the dryer to work if your service panel has 230 you will need to get a 30 amp two pole breaker and run 3 wire #8 in size. Then get the socket and plug for the dryer. The 110 in the model number simply means made by whirlpool and is a pretty good machine but requires 230 volts to dry with heat.
You probably have a bad plug connection, make sure all the wiring in there is tight, you may see signs of arcing. A bad connection causes resistance, and therefore causes the breakers to trip. It is best to replace the receptacle on the wall outlet with a new one because the problem will just resurface again soon.
you did not say how old? but I find that all it takes is one wire to get old, and starts to heat up because electric cant flow through it, then it gets worse and worse fast, then heats up the whole block, till the whole thing gets melted...bad thing is its happens slow enough that the standard 30 amp breaker won't trip during this slow melt down!
Hi! mastermech51 If I understand the main difficulty is the breaker trips on the main breaker panel? If this is so have an electrician check the current or amperage draw at the breaker panel when the washer shuts down. It could be just a loose terminal on the breaker, or a bad breaker. This also is dependent on what other loads are on the washer circuit. InMrFixIt