Question about Thermador CGBD48RSBX All-in-One Grill / Smoker
We have in our home a Char Glo BBQ by Thermador, Model CGE1-29,
date of manufacture June 1985 and the ignition switch burnt out several years ago.
We have to manually ignite the grill (using electricity) each time we use it. We then turn the electricity off so as not to burn out the pilot/starter.
Can we purchase a new ignition switch?
Thanks in advance of your response.
I believe I have the same grill in my house. It does work, but I have to light it with a lighter. I haven't found anyone to "restore" or fix it up, so I am considering taking it out when I remodel, so if you are interested in salvaging parts. Mine is in very good shape, appearance wise. Alternatively, if you've found someone to fix yours up, let me know! Newtzlaw
Posted on Nov 12, 2009
Hi an welcome to FixYa. I am Kelly. I could go on and on about the how too convert it but I think you should really read this link first:
This is about the best info around.
Having passed that information on... You have the following to consider.
1. Dual shut off valves for the grill. One near by and one at some distance in case the gas line catches fire.
2. You will need a Natural Gas regulator.
3. The burner orifices will have to be changed to NG
4. The burner itself will require an air adjustment to get the proper flame. Most burners are NOT adjustable so you may have to buy natural gas burners.
5. The gas supply line has to be installed by a certified and bonded installer.
I would visit either the location that your bought the the grill or.. a BBQ grill specialty store. I have not been in one yet that did not have someone on the payroll that could help you accomplish the conversion.
Thanks for using FixYa.
It is not difficult to do.. You just have to do everything safely.
Posted on Apr 06, 2010
Thanks for your question!
I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet.
The response rate on FixYa FREE questions is usually over 80%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:
1. the question is unclear, incomplete, or poorly worded...
2. the question is mis-categorized - so the correct experts aren't viewing it...
3. the question requires an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately...
4. specific training, tools, or equipment are required to avoid injury or death...
5. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully...
Please feel free to re-work your question if you feel one of these may be the reason.
Of course you are not required - but converting your question to a PAID one usually increases the reply rate as well.
Normal rates for FixYa are...
$ 9.99 answer for one question.
$12.99 Live Real-Time online chat or premium e-mail support.
$29.99 Live Real Time phone support
Sometimes FixYa will run specials for unlimited questions via monthly subscription or reduced rates for limited periods.
Consider the savings that can be had when an informed Expert can save you a $100 service call, or a $350 trip to the car dealership.
Your problem solved - guaranteed! Or your money back!!
If you don't want to pay - feel free to re-submit your question so it returns back to the top of the work queue if you still need help.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for helping with your FREE question
Posted on Sep 05, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 03, 2015 | Grilling
Oct 29, 2013 | Thermador Grilling
Sep 13, 2011 | Thermador CGBD48RX (LP) All-in-One Grill /...
Jul 30, 2011 | Grilling
May 28, 2011 | Grilling
May 20, 2011 | Char-Broil Commercial Stainless Steel...
Apr 19, 2011 | Barbeques Galore Turbo Classic 3-Burner...
Sep 04, 2009 | Char-Broil 463220004 Grill
78 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: