We just replaced the batteries in our Honeywell RTH230B controller.
I did not turn off the Heat/Cool switch before removing the old and reinstalling the new batteries.
Now, with the new batteries installed, the battery icon is flashing and the controller won't turn on our pellet stove. I checked the battery voltages and the new batteries are fresh.
Is there some type of reset button I need to press to clear the low battery error?
I had this same problem today. I called Honeywell and they said the flashing broken battery symbol may mean low batteries, or it may mean the battery type is incorrect. They recommend only non-rechargeable alkaline batteries. I was using rechargeable NiMH batteries. Even though they were fully charged, I had the flashing battery symbol and the thermostat relay would not work. I replaced with alkaline, the flashing battery indicator went out, the thermostat works again.
Odd that it worked for 3 months on the rechargeables after first install. I did notice the broken battery symbol came on after the first few days, but I checked the battery charges and they were good, so I disregarded the symbol until the thermostat stopped working today. Apparently there is something about the NiMH performance characteristic that the thermostat doesn't like.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
By unit, do you mean the thermostat? And if so, do you mean the whole face is flashing, or just a heat or cool symbol? And if your talking about the heating/cooling unit, are you talking about a flash on the board?
A thermostat face that is flashing is usually batteries.
A symbol that is flashing on a thermostat indicates a call and is in a delay. There will be a 5 minute delay on calls if the call has been short cycled, powered off and on, etc.
If the symbol continues to flash for an extended amount of time, then the problem is in the furnace, air handler, etc.
If the system is working, but flashing, then it could be the programming of the thermostat.
the colors of old system are for heat pump.if you have a heat pump you need heat pump thurmostat and colrs will make more sense.if not,then you need to go into furnace to see what colors go where.yellow is cool, goes to compressor contactor,usually another wire going from furnace to outside unit.green is fan relay rh is heat call rc is cool call
If this is a typical air handler unit then turn the fan switch to on, if the fan does not come on then you have a control problem or no power to unit. Check fuses/Breaker.
If fuses and breaker are ok then try this. Turn the power off to unit, try and locate control board usually
located in the lower panel where the blower might be.
Disconnect thermostat wires that go to probably
r/w/g/y/c and remember what color goes to where.
If you can make a jumper wire or you have aligator
clips, jumper r and w. Put door back on, turn power on and heat should start up.
You can also put a jumper between r ang g terminals
instead and the fan should come on.
If either of the two cases happen, then you need another thermostat or check wiring to thermostat.
Another possibility is that there could be a car fuse
located in the control board that is blown
Mike, The static electrical spark probably 'zapped' the Rth230b Honeywell Display unit. If you have already tried removing the power (batteries) from the unit and after waiting several minutes; reapply the power (batteries). If the problems remain unchanged, then it is time to replace the Display unit with a new one. The static electricity problem is problematic and the only way to prevent the same problem from recurring is to discharge yourself before touching the Honeywell Display. As you walk across the room which (probably has carpet), causes the static electricity to build up on your body and then discharges itself through the Display unit when you make contact with the Display unit. You might try coming to a complete stop and attempt to discharge the static charge on your body by touching the wall first with one hand for a second before touching the Display unit with the other hand. Naturally, cold weather with low humidity makes the static electricity worse. Hopes this helpsyou. Henry