The gas ignitors do not turn off on all burners. We have to unplug it to stop which leaves the top burners unsafe.
What is causing this problem and how can we fix it??
Thanks for your help!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Gas ignitors do not shut off
Are you saying the spark module is constantly sparking? If so, you may have one of your surface burner switches shorted, causing the spark module to stay on. Or, you could have a ground in your wiring harness to the spark module. Here's a way to check:
1. Unplug range, or turn off circuit breaker.
2. Locate your spark module. It's usually located in the back of the oven cavity, or behind the rear panel. There should be a wire going from the spark module to each burner switch. Carefully disconnect each burner switch one at a time and re-energize your range to see if the problem goes away. If the problem doesn't go away, turn the range back off, reconnect the switch and move to the next switch wire.
3. If you disconnect each switch and the problem persists, then I would suspect an internal short in the spark module, or a ground in your wiring somewhere.
There should be a tech sheet with diagrams located somewhere on the back of the range to assist you. I hope this helps.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
UNPLUG DRYER REMOVE TWO PHILLIPS SCREWS UNDER FILTER ON TOP LID ....
FLIP TOP TOWARDS WALL REMVOVE 5/16 SCREWS IN TOP CORNER OF CABINET AN LEAVE DOOR AND FRONT CONNECTED REMOVE DRUM BT RELIEV IDLER BELT TENSIONER INFRONT OF MOTOR AND SLIDE BELT AND DRUM OUT OF CABINET AND SET OUT OF WAY TURN DRYER IN TIMED DRYER NEAR 60 AND LAY ON FLOOR INFRONT OF DRYER ON FLOOR INFRONT OF DRYER INFRONT OF BURNER TUBE AND WATCH AND LISTEN IGNITOR SHOULD GLOW RED THEN A CLICK THEN IGNITOR SHOULD LIGHT GAS ..... IGNITOR DOSENT GLOW CHECK WHITE PLASTIC FUSE ... IF IGNITOR GLOWS AND NO CLICK THE REPLACE FLAME SWITCH ALUMINUM AND BLACK BOX ON LEFT SIDE OF BURNER TUBE ...IF CLICKS AND NO GAS REPLACE GAS COILS
happens in this style ignition system is that the thermostat or
electronic control switches power to the oven ignitor and gas valve
circuit which are connected in series (one after the other). As power
flows through the ignitor it heats and draws current (measured in
amperage). Once the oven ignitor draws a specific amount of current the
oven valve opens to allow gas to flow to the oven burner where the
glowing hot ignitor (glow bar) ignites it. Power must continually flow
through the ignitor and oven gas valve for gas to be released into the
oven burner to create a flame. Once the set temperature is achieved the
control stops all power to the ignition circuit which causes the
ignitor to dim and the oven gas valve to close, stopping any burner
flame. Cycling on and off continues to maintain the specific
temperature the control is set for.
Turn your gas valve on, but leave your unit unplugged for a few days. You can light your burners in the meantime with a lighter so you can cook. Usually this problem is caused by moisture getting into one of your ignitor switches which are under your burner knobs. Most of the time the switch dries out and you can plug your unit back in after a few days. If it still keeps firing then you will have to replace one or more of your ignitor switches. Usually a very difficult job as most gas cooktops are now sealed burner units which means the top of your cooktop is bolted down to the burners with several screws or nuts that heat up with usage and become almost impossible to remove, without having to drill out the screws, or chiseling off the nuts. Be careful of boilovers or cleaning around the knobs with too much water to prevent this from happening again. Also get a surge protector at least 2000 joules or higher to prevent damage to you spark module. Good Luck, Appliance Specialists
yikes .. you have a very dangerous condition there ... ventalate the area and turn the gas off immediatly.. there is a shutoff valve somewhere in the gas line coming to the stove top .. if you cant find that then shut off the gas at the gas meter or call the gas company to do that for you (its free) ...
your problem is likely a loose pipe or cracked manafold .. it is leaking gas under the cooktop .. i would replumb the unit and check for cracks .. or call a professional .. your unit comes with a 1 year warranty or an additional 4 years if you bought extra coverage .. that probably wont cover a bad installation if thats the problem (unless the repair company installed the unit to start with) .. but will cover the stoves inside plumbing ..
your stove is not safe the way it is .. if you can still smell gas then you shouldnt be in the house until the gas is turned off ... windows should be open .. dont turn on lights or other things that can ignite the gas .. and absolutely dont try to relight the burners until the problem is fixed ..
THAT IS THE IGNITOR FOR THE GAS. TURN THE KNOB JUST BEYOND THE START POSITION AND IT SHOULD STOP. IF NOT UNPLUG THE STOVE AND FIND THE IGNITOR ON THE BURNER HEAD AND CLEAN IT WITH A SOFT TOOTHBRUSH. PLUG THE STOVE IN AND IT SHOULD STOP CLICKING
UNPLUG the dryer. This model you need to remove the two screws under the lint screen. Now use a flat blade screw drive and insert it in the gap between the top and the front panel and pry the top up. Now locate and remove the screws on the inside of the front panel in upper corners. The front should lift off. You will see the ignitor attached to the burner. You can try and replace the ignitor without removing the burner. Sometimes it is just as easy to remove the burner. Make sure the gas is shut off before removing the gas fitting on the gas valve. Be carefull and DO NOT touch the black part of the ignitor with your hand. It could ruin the ignitor with the oil on you hand.
If I can assist you further, please let me know.
try unplugging the unit over night, itspossible that by you cleaning the tops, the electrodes got wet, falsley sparkin, when the water dries out it should stop, and no not dangerous in any way, only annoying to listen to