- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There are a couple of safety thermostats in the oven to shut down power if something overheats. One is on the magnetron tube (the microwave source), the other is on the cooking cavity. These sometimes go bad. There's also a power line fuse that may have failed, or become loose in its mounting clips. These can be tested with an ohmmeter; they should all measure very close to zero ohms if they're good.
Another possibility is that the control circuit board in the oven may have failed. I have worked on several Sharp ovens where the power transformer for the board has gone bad for no good reason. If the board goes bad the oven may appear to be dead as well.
Microwave servicing is best left to professionals. If you're thinking of keeping this one, take it to a service shop (or call for home service) and get an estimate. Then decide whether to repair or replace.
Hope this has helped a little. Thanks for using Fixya!
The question is... Do you want to put money on a 18year MW, or put it towards a new one? I must admit I love the SHARP Combo MW Convection ovens. I own two. One is almost 25years old. The mechanical Timer Type, but they work great and I can maintain them with 30years ef exrerience. I am now retired.
It does sound like the Magnetronhas broken down, however it could be other things in the Secondary (High Voltage Side). The High Voltage Side is made up of the Secondary HV side of the High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, a High Voltage Capacitor, and the Magnetron. The High Voltage Side is DANGEROUS, and CAUTION should be taken to protect yourself against EXTREME HIGH VOLTAGE. unplug from power and DISCHARGE High Voltage Capaciton to frame GROUND before touching anything!!!!