Question about Desa International R40 Utility Heater

1 Answer

No spark I have a craftsman 55000btu heater with a Desa098024 ignitor box. the unit was submerged in water and worked when first dried out. now it won't innite. there is no spark. I tried a new spark plug. There is power to the ignitior. is there a replacement available ?

Posted by on

  • Tammy Snyder
    Tammy Snyder Mar 23, 2009

    I think my ignitor is out any way to check it



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Expert
  • 92 Answers

The ignitor is bad, you can check with desa int. if you can't get the exact replacement part they are all basically the same although the wires may be a little different. mine is a dyna glo with an ignitor from mr. heater and it works better than the original even though it did not mount to the old unit. minor modifications is all it took.

Posted on Jan 29, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Igniter on gas water heater only sparks once

First pull the ignitor wire off the ignition module...hold a screwdriver 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the electrode pin on the module then turn the unit on to see if it sparks differently than what you described before you replace the ignitor.

Dec 19, 2013 | Honeywell Water Heaters


Ignitor doesn't click, spark or light gas

When my 2-year-old grill quit supplying a spark to light either the grill or the side burner, I removed the battery/start button and noticed droplets of water inside.
So I removed the ignitor unit. When I shook it, I could hear water sloshing inside, probably because I'm too lazy to put the cover on the grill after using it.
The part was going to be about $40 with shipping.
I shook out all the water I could, but still no spark.
Remembering a tip I'd heard about wet cell phones, I sealed the ignitor unit in a bag of dry white rice and left it on the grill in the Florida sun for a couple of days. Lots of condensation showed up on the plastic bag.
Shocking discovery: after two days in the plastic bag, I shook out residual rice, replaced the battery and button, pushed it, and the sparks tingled my fingers pretty well! Lots of volts!
Also works fine in the grill again. Probably works on all brands of grill ignitors...

on Jul 07, 2014 | Kenmore Grilling

1 Answer

Pressure washed grill. since none of the ignitors will spark...assuming due to the water hitting something it shouldn't have. how do i replace and what part would i need?

You are not clear as to the make / model of your unit so I will address general solutions. These spark modules generate high voltage 12-25 thousand volts. Since dirty water conducts electricity any residual water in the grill can cause a problem by conducting electricity in the wrong place. If you are able to safely light the grill with a match or lighter then doing so will help dry out the wetted grill components.
When you push the button if you can hear the clicking noice then the spark module is good. If no clicking noise is heard then check for wetted ignitor, bad batteries, or replace the ignitor. If you can hear clicking but have no spark at the burners, then the first thing to do is let it dry out. second, if you are able, ensure the electrodes (the part by the burner where the spark jumps the gap) are clear of all debris. If this is clear, verify all the wiring is attached to the applicable grounds, ignitors (the electronic box or piezo that generates the spark) and electrodes. If one wire is off at least one, if not two, spark points will stop working.
If this is a piezo ignition (one push of the button = one spark or a rotory knob that makes 3 sparks per 180 degrees of revolution) water can get into these units and they will work fine once they dry out.
If this is a battery operated unit make sure the battery is dry and functional, dry by hand don't wait for it to air dry and try again. I hope this helps Happy grilling

Jul 14, 2011 | Grilling

1 Answer

I own a ge JGBS23DEMWW and it was in a flood about 3 weeks ago. Everything dried out pretty good, But the oven won't work. Then burners worked a little odd at first but after running them for awhile the...

When it comes to water damage, any component including wires should be replaced if they were submerged in water. The damage is not always evident and failure can occur at the most inconvenient of times. The oven is not working either because the ignitor is weak or the safety valve is toast from the water. I would not try to use this in my home unless the submerged components were replaced. Hopefully you have insurance to cover your losses.

Aug 19, 2010 | Ovens

1 Answer

What do i do when my camera got wet and it wont turn on?

It all depends on if it was totally submerged or if it was slightly exposed. If it was totally submerged, there is not much to do at this point. It will need to be replaced. The entire unit will not work as designed, due to the severe water damage. Now; if it was slightly exposed to a minimal amount of liquid, simply, separate the internal component and batteries away from the cover housing and let them dry out for 5 full days. Once the dry out period has been completed, reassemble the unit and load a fresh set of batteries. It should work now.

NOTE_ The dry out method will not work if you have already tried to operate this unit shortly after the water damage occurred. Energizing a wet system board will cause a short,thus, damaging the entire unit.

Aug 10, 2010 | Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-S40 Digital Camera

1 Answer

The ignition keeps on sparking after the burner is lit.

How old oof a unit is it? The burners switches when on will operate ignitors for all burners no matter which switch is "turned on". Usually when units get older these switches on the most "often used" burners will stick and stay "connected" then all ignitors will continue to spark this is also true if switches accidentally get wet with spillage or water till they dry out. No danger though because jsut because ignitor is sparking doesnt mean gas is being released, gas is only released when valves are turned on

May 22, 2009 | Jenn-Air JGR8850 Gas Kitchen Range

2 Answers

Rheem water heater pilot light goes out


Feb 23, 2009 | Rheem 40 Gallon FVR NATGAS Low WATER...

8 Answers

Bosch tankless GWH 1600 H NG won't always ignite. The igniter sparks, but doesn't always light the gas. It just clicks. When installed it lit every time, now it takes more and more tries to get it to...

The clicking is a good sign. What are you trying that not working? How is the water flow-is it strong? 1) Turn the flow control button all the way to your left - this will increase the flow.
2) Pull the relief valve to simulate water flow and listen for clicking sound, and hopefully, main burner ignition. ( if installed in basement or kindly use bucket to catch water) The 1600 H NG will automatically shut off firing after 5sec of clicking.
3) How is the venting-use a household digital carbon monoxoide detector to measure any backspill from chimney.
4) Was the gas line disconnected in anyway after heater was installed? Air in the gas line will cause the igniter to click but no gas to fired the main burner.

Todate i have installed 11 Bosch Tankless Heaters -- 9(125 NG) Which is the same as 1600 Series
1(1600H NG) and 1(1600P NG)
Guess which one I having problem with- You guess it, however, the problem is their electrical wiring.


Jan 25, 2009 | Bosch 1600H-NG Natural Gas AquaStar...

1 Answer

Ignitor keeps sparking

ignitor works , so it's not broken. It's probably a flame sensor. It may be broken or what happens frequently , it moved out of place. Other cause might be a low gas pressure. Even if it starts, the flame dies soon and after few repeats it goes into lockout. I do not beleive your 'box' is broken either

Jan 20, 2009 | Heating & Cooling

Not finding what you are looking for?
Desa International R40 Utility Heater Logo

105 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Desa International Heating & Cooling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3077 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

Are you a Desa International Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides