An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 10,000 points.
Re: Loud noise, stopped, then ODOR! Toxic? NOT a Maytag,...
Hi and welcome to FixYa,
Initially, there are only a couple of components that could produce a loud noise from the inside of a microwave oven:
fan blades breaking (if one is present);
a capacitor in the power supply section of the main board (most likely).
All of the above are reasonable repairable if you are considering a DIY (do-it-yourself). The greatest challenge is determining which and familiarity with the use of a DV/VOM.
The odor could be the component that produced the sound burning. As stated above, most likely a capacitor. Should this be the case, it would be bulging on top and would have spilled its die-electric materials around (brown paper), you can try component level repair (just replace with same specs) or replace the entire board.
With all said and if you would factor in cost of repair (especially if you are seeking the services of a qualified professional), downtime and the efforts to effect a repair, you may want to re-evaluate your options and considerf a replacement.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Main fuse may have blown due to a possible failure in the high voltage doubler circuit. Check high voltage rectifier to see if it is shorted. Discharge high voltage capacitor first so you don't electrocute yourself.
If it is a loud buzzing noise it is either the diode or magnetron. Working with the high voltage of a Microwave oven I would never recommend anyone other than a trained professional to attempt this repair.
Ck and make sure the circuit breaker on the power panel on the house hasn't tripped.. If your microwave is within 6' of the kitchen sink, ck for a tripped GFCI controlling the power the microwave is plugged into. Good Luck, Ned
hello Frank. Sorry to tell you that the magnetron is going bad and making that terrible noise. Since the inside of a microwave, even unplugged has up to 2000 residual and deadly volts of electricity I recommend either calling a pro or replacing the unit.
The noise is coming from the high-voltage transformer being overloaded
by something shorting it out. Either the magnatron or the
high-voltage capacitor and diode. Replace the capacitor and
diode then if still not working, replace the magnatron. Its only
affordable if you do it yourself - buy the part on EBAY - lookup
Hope ya fix it!