Recently bought new laptop. Set up and serched for wireless routers. I found mine, asked me to enter the password- which it excepted. Cant connect to the internet. It is connected to Virgin Media broadband which is working fine. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Re: Laptop finding router but no internet connection
If you can connect directly to your virgin Media Broadband and get internet then your laptop and broadband router is fine.
The wireless router appears not to have a DNS entry and you will need to add that manually.
I suggest that you connect directly to the Broadband modem, be sure you can get onto the internet. Once you have confirmed you can get onto the internet you need to get the dns information from your Broadband modem for later.
once connected directly to the broadband modem, click start>run> then type "CMD" then click open. you will get a prompt type the following and record the DNS Server ip addresses.
"ipconfig /all" then hit enter this will display your ipaddress information but mostly you need the DNS server ip addresses.
once you have recorded them rerun the install, but this time instead of at the end of the install where it shows the Wireless router information you can modify or change it and add the DNS server entries.
Also by default most wireless routers ip address is 192.168.1.1 and you can type that from a internet explorer and change it from there as well. I believe it's no ID or user name and the password is admin.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Sometimes the key length would change for security purposes. What you have to make sure is that you are entering the correct network key.
Use a connected computer like your roommates laptop or hardwired connect you laptop to the router using an ethernet cable to access the setup page of the router.
In your browser's address bar, type 192.168.1.1. By default, leave the username blank, password is admin.
Go to Wireless -> Wireless security.
You will see the network key. Just copy that and enter it on your laptop.
I hope this helps!
2. Verify wireless router name( on the computer) >>> ( on/off) 3.Note router name you are connecting to. 4.. Check the laptop do ipconfig /all to see current IP addresses. 5. Set the Desktop/laptop up in the router by WEP KEY or MAC address. 6.Note router name you are connecting to.
1. you will have to designate the laptop or allow it to connect by entering it into the 3com router. 2. try connecting to the router via ethernet cord (that is connecting with a physical straight through cord) that came with the router. If connected with this then you will have to go into the router via the IP set 192.168..0.1 depending on the router ip for loging in. 2. Go to the "wireless setup" and enter your MAC address for the laptop in the permissions list in the router. Instructions on how to do this is at the manufacturers site. Step by step. 3. Do the following step if instructions not found. 1.Log into router 2. Verify wireless router name( on the computer) >>> ( on/off) 3.Note router name you are connecting to. 4.. Check the laptop do ipconfig /all to see current IP adresses. 5. Set the laptop up in the router by WEP KEY or MAC address. 6.Note router name you are connecting to. 7. Move the laptop about 20ft away and try to log on to the internet. This is for all routers to set up wirelessly.
You will need to check the wireless settings of the router is there any computer connected to the router ? If yes then you can open the router set up page on that computer. Router set up page is the page where you can check all the wireless settings of the router.
You will need to check the wireless settings of the
router is there any computer connected to the router ? If yes then you can open the router set up page on
that computer. Router set up page is the page where you can check
all the wireless settings of the router. Click here for step by step instructions
I presume that your internet was working fine before you bought your new laptop. Unless you've done something to change it it should still be working as before.
You shouldn't need a CD - if you think about it you don't need a CD when you log in in Starbucks so why should you need one at home?
The only thing you need to know is the router's wireless name; Talktalk 12345etc, and its password - which is the password your son is using.
I can't explain why you can't connect when your son is connected - as the router should be able to host 253 laptops (very very slowly mind) - unless the router has been set with an access list that only allows his laptop to connect.
From your PC (not your laptop):
Type CMD and press ENTER
Type IPCONFIG and press ENTER
Find the line stating "gateway 192.168.xxx.yyy"
Start Internet Explorer
Login to your router
Click the "wireless configuration" button
Set a new security-key or passphrase.
Now, try connecting wirelessly from your laptop, using the new security-key or passphrase.
Since you want to access the router setup page and get the wireelss security for your laptop you can try this: Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1. You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default the username is blank, and the password is admin. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.
When you're already on the setup page of the router youc an go to Wireless tab and click on Wireless security and there you can find the security key that you need....
If the default password didn't work you need to reset the router by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds so it will be back to its default settings with default password which is admin.
But if you successfully log in to the router page just go to the Wireless tab and there you can find all the wireless settings of your router including the wireless security key...
login to the router like connect a pc through hard wired open a web page type 192.168.1.1 enter user name admin and password also admin all lower case enter
and click on wireless and click w/l security and change the web key and click save settings and reboot ur laptop and serch for ue network and it will ask for the new web kep enter it u r in business if its works rate me solved thxWireless Security