Question about Kenmore 47783 Electric Single Oven

1 Answer

Pulling lower coil and big spark came flying out of oven backwall

What happened?...please read below posted by cbbratton on Jan 28, 2009
The top coil is the only one that is heating...the lower coil does not heat up at all.
Please help me know what to do to fix...the unit otherwise is working fine.

Thank you,
Chris Comment posted on Jan 28, 2009 Thank you!...so as I was removing the lower coil to expose the element (?) a huge spark? shot out and scared the **** out of me. What was that? Are the elements what I see attached at the end of the coil - at least on one side the other side is burnt off?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 979 Answers

Have you had a chance to fix it yet ? The wire has probably come off or burned off keeping it from working. Feel the element to see if it has any rough spots in it. This will indicate it is burned up on the inside.

Posted on Feb 02, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to change light bulb in microwave?


Found this post on another fixya-type site: below is the link..
Here's a repeat of Kai's instructions so you don't have to scroll down. I just replaced mine and it was a snap. Just a few Phillips screws and a few tugs. No need to pull the unit completely out as you can access the bulb after it's about half way. No need to disconnect any wiring harness except pulling the bulb out of its socket. I used the 10w (G4 12V) replacement bulb from Home Depot at $6. The light is a bit brighter but there've been no problems with fuses.


1) Turn off power to the unit
2) Open the lower oven door
3) Remove the side trim screws and pull the trims down and out.
4) Remove 2 screws on the sides of the control panel.
5) Open the Microwave door. Remove the 3 screws on the Air Vent Plastic Cover on top of the microwave. You can then remove the Air Vent Cover by pushing the control panel up and pull out slightly at the bottom.
6) Remove the 4 screws on the Air Vent Plastic Cover on top of the lower oven and remove the Air Vent Cover. (You may have to remove the left under side bracket of the Microwave door temporarily just for the Air Vent Cover to clear the screw of the bracket. Re-secure the side bracket of the Microwave door panel as the front panel may fall)
7) Remove the 2 screws which held the Microwave unit in place behind the Air Vent Cover on step 6.
8) Wiggle the Microwave unit out about half way to expose the light bulb unit on top center
9) Wiring to the Control Panel will prevent you from pulling the Microwave unit out any further. And you don't want to do that as the unit may fall. Space is cramped, but working carefully with pliers you should be able to release the springs which held down the light bulb unit and change the bulb.
http://www.fixed4free.com/answers.php?id=51232

Mar 21, 2012 | KitchenAid Architect Series KEMC308KSS...

2 Answers

No power to heating coils


h\ave you check for any damaged ono the themal fuse..?

Jul 09, 2008 | GE JTP45 Electric Double Oven

1 Answer

COOK TOP SPARKING AFTER CLEANING


Hello mjama,

I understand that you are having a problem with your cook top sparking after cleaning. If you are talking about your burner/element sparking this is usually the case when the element is fixing to go out and needs to be replaced. However, if this is not what you are talking about please post make and model of your cook top and what is sparking.

Thank you for choosing FixYa.com

Justin

May 08, 2011 | Whirlpool RBD305PD Electric Double Oven

1 Answer

Lower coil will not heat.


Hi

If the lower wont heat and the upper work fine then it is the coil itself that is bad and should be replaced. Hope this helps...please post back for further assistance.

Daniel

Jan 11, 2011 | GE Profile JTP18 Electric Single Oven

1 Answer

I have an older model Frigidaire electrical range and after pulling it apart, I still cannot find the model # to get further assistance. Any ideas?


My understanding is that the industry standard is for mfg,s to place nameplate info on the frame of the drawer opening, below the oven, on the left hand side. You may have to crouch down to see it, it may be obscured by the oven door. They put it there because it is below the hottest surfacesof the oven, and a service tech can read it without pulling the unit away from the wall. Good luck! Rob

Dec 31, 2010 | Frigidaire Ovens

1 Answer

I have a kenmore electric oven and I saw sparks flying when I was cooking lastnight. It looked like the coil may have a hole in it. When I unscrewed the coil it began shooting sparks when I pulled on it....


first thing u need to do is get the power switched off. if u cannot get at the plug trip the switch in your main fuse box.

u can then remove the element safely and replace it

never work on a live appliance

Sep 28, 2010 | Ovens

1 Answer

Oven does not heat up beyond 240 degrees, which takes a long time


You have either a burned our lower element or a wire has burned off at the terminal for that element. The good news is that the lower element is cheaper.

Jan 28, 2009 | Kenmore 47783 Electric Single Oven

1 Answer

Self-Clean gets too hot on JTP56 double-oven


Your husband is correct, kind of. You should not try self clean again until you get the oven repaired. You have a temp sensor going out. I doubt that the oven actually got too hot, most likely the resistor in the sensor is failing as it heats up and giving a false temp reading.Since the lower oven was operating at the time, it is probably the sensor in the lower oven. Don't use it for baking until you get it repaired. It will go out completely and shut down both ovens. You should be able to get a new sensor for around $30 and they are not hard to replace.

The oven won't set your house on fire during clean mode if the cabinets were built with the correct air space and dimensions, but they do get very hot, about 800 degrees F. Most ovens give no trouble during the clean cycle, but if there is any weak components in the electronics system it will show up then. It will give you less trouble over time if you don't use the self clean mode and just manually clean it.

Jan 18, 2008 | GE Profile JTP56 Electric Double Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 47783 Electric Single Oven Logo

113 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Ovens Experts

Mike Cairns
Mike Cairns

Level 3 Expert

3053 Answers

Michael Thomas
Michael Thomas

Level 3 Expert

3051 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...