My computer has crashed..however, it will start up using safemode pressing F8. There was a .dll virus that I attempted to rid of, now its cannot get to my settings. Before all this, I tried use recovery...
ok.. first of all don't give just yet if you are still able to get in in safe mode.
things to try
I don't know what method you use to get rid of your dll virus but this is what's usually used to clean your computer.
1. install antimalware applications, update them, and run deep scans.
the tools I use are (in the following order)
b. a-square free edtion (make sure you get the free edition)
d. spybot search and destroy
e. spyware doctor (pc tools)
this tools are free, and make sure you have a wired internet connection only need to download the updates for each application, after the updates have been download for each one of them, disconnect the computer from internet and, proceed to do full/deep scans. this should get rid off 95% to 99% of most of the malware you have on your computer.
be patient. depending on how much stuff you got on your computer it may take a while to run each application. do one at a time or 2 if you have plenty of memory. some times the application may have to be run once and then again at start up. proceed as prompted. the applications suggested are usually very safe to use, although is usually recommended, since you still have access to your system, to get all the important files (pics, music and docs) out of your hard drive so you can proceed with confidence no matter what happen. I suggest you get a portable hd or a big thumb drive and try to get the most important files off your hard drive.
2. get an antivirus, update it and run a full scan. once you have completed the scans with all the tools mentioned, get avg or avast antivirus, this are pretty good free antivirus solutions, install them and do full scans, by this point of point 1 was completed you should have a few to none threats in your system.
3. don't go online just yet, simply go to windows update website and make sure you install all the updates required to patch up your windows installation and bring it up to date. (xp should be upto sp3 and vista should be up to sp2 and both should have all critical updates installed)
4. proceed to connect your computer online and test to see how your browser is behaving
5. depending on the results from 1-4. there are other tools which are very powerful, still free but are more risky and harder when it comes to clean up the computer
post back with your results and I'll let you know how to proceed or where to go for more free help if needed!
alternative, a shutgun approch is to back up your data off your hard drive as suggested before, then wiped clean your hd (this is hard on your hard drive and diminish it's life but it's required a few times in a 5 year period which is how long a hard drive tends to last with average usage.
according to your manual to reinstall your operation system you need have recovery cds/dvd made although given your how your system is performing the virus or malware that has gotten a hold of your computer may not enable your to proceed getting those recovery cds/dvd created and you need that in order to reinstall your operating system which takes care of the wipe off part automatically
the following was extracted from your computer's user manual:
Hard Disk Drive Recovery
Your computer is equipped with a utility program that enables you to recover your computer's operating system and
For more information about hard disk drive recovery:
Your VAIO® computer is not supplied with System or Application Recovery CDs. Use the VAIO Recovery utility to recover
your computer's operating system and preinstalled software.
1. Click Start in the Windows® taskbar, then click Help and Support.
2. From the VAIO Help And Support Center, click VAIO Recovery Options.
May 06, 2010 |
Sony VAIO PCV-RZ32G (PCVRZ32GKIT3) PC...