Question about HP Computers & Internet
WIRELESS ROUTER SECURITY
When you power up the wireless router and the LEDs are ON then the router appears to be OK and this also applies to the DSL or cable wireless modem. To check if the modem is configured to your ISP settings and the modem connects to the Internet, connect the modem with a LAN cable to your laptop and check if you can get into the Internet. To connect to your wireless router, it needs the router's wireless settings configured and also needs the wireless cards in all the laptops and or computers to be configured with the router's wireless settings. Then the laptops and desktop computers can communicate with your wireless router. To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: - 1, Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable.
2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address.
3. Enter the router setup, login and password
4. Change the admin password
5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast.
6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA). The encryption key can be easily set up using a passphrase (it can be an alpha numeric phrase or words). 7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router.
8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings.
9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router.
10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
Posted on Jan 22, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 16, 2012 | Samsung Computers & Internet
Jan 31, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Feb 24, 2010 | Belkin N Wireless Modem-Router F5D8633au4A
Dec 25, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jun 28, 2009 | Airlink AR430W Wireless Router
Apr 28, 2009 | Airlink AWLH3026T 802.11g/b Wireless...
Feb 01, 2009 | Medion md40298 Notebook
Dec 12, 2008 | Gateway Belkin 54g Wireless DSL/Cable...
Oct 06, 2016 | HP "LaserJet P2055DN Printer"
60 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!