We have a four year old over the range microwave oven that shuts off after only a few seconds. My confusion lies in that the GE service tech tells me the transfomer is gone and needs to be replaced. If it is damaged or shot why does it allow us to cook some items and shuts off on others after only a few seconds?
The microwave was not put on its own outlet when it was installed. We suspect this may have played a part in its troubles.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Microwave shuts off after a few seconds.
I am surprised that the GE seervice tech did not explain to you why the microwave will still cook. By saying that transformer is damaged or shot really means that the internal windings may be shorted together so the transformer no longer has as many good windings to produce the original power it did when it was new. That is pretty clear. It will still function a little but the protection circuits inside the microwave would start to shut it down when it overloads by trying to pull more current than the windings inside the transformer can handle. You can replace the transformer yourself if you are a do it yourselfer and are confident around unplugging the transformer with All Power Off and unscrewing a couple of screws that hold it in place. It is pretty straightforward you just need to find the correct transformer (maybe you can buy one from GE or go to www.mwoparts.com which carry all the parts in microwaves for all models especially name brands like yours. Taking the cover off is of course easy. Good luck. Let me know how you do or if I can help you in any other way.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When a microwave oven shuts down prematurely it is often due to a defective high voltage component such as the diode string, a high voltage capacitor or, more likely, a defective magnatron (microwave power generator). If your microwave oven is more than four years old, consider it a sign from God that recalcitrant electronic pariah has yet to burn your house down!
If you are a cheap weasle and willing to possibly die for hot food, you can buy a replacement magnatron and spring new life into that old, slime-filled microwave oven! It's ture! (I've done it.)
There are just four manufacturers in the world for such things and all of them do what they do far from American soil. For about $60 you can beget a repalcement magnatron then wade into the exciting world of microwave energy production, waveguide and antenna theory, and the wonders of high voltage power electronics. (I'd mention embedded microcontroller theory but everyone knows that today.)
On the other hand, a busy executive person or similar form of incurious being would have just gotten off the phone to Best Buy, having been imbued with the many exciting and wife-pleasing possibilites that are innately manifest in a microwave oven you have yet to own.
In short, all your hot food wants is money. Give it money and hot food will be yours again!
Buy a Microwave Oven after checking it out on http://www.cnet.com .They do a wonderful job rating different products. Check them out and type the product name you are looking for in the search box if not already listed.
Just checked the GE website. Had the same problem with my 5 year old microwave. GE website says to close and open the door quickly three times. First time I did this it didn't work. Second time I closed the door with some significant force and reopened it more quickly. Worked. Unplugged the microwave, plugged it back in, still fine.