Question about Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB USB Hard Drive
My 500GB WD external hard drive prongs are bent and my computer will not recognize the HD anymore. I hope it can be replaced!!!!
This may sound silly,but sometimes if you put the drive in the freezer overnight it will work long enough for you to retrieve your data.Make sure you are ready to copy the data to another as it will likely fail again once it warms up.
Posted on Nov 26, 2008
1. Right click on My Computer > Manage;
2. On the new window click on Disk Management, on the right side, right click in the USB Volume and chose "Change Drive Letter and Path..."
3. In the new window click on "Add..." to assign a letter to your USb drive.
Posted on Jun 24, 2009
The lack of free space iis on your internal HD not the external. Whenever transferring files from one drive to another, you are acturally making a copy of the file to be transferred and sending the copy to the new drive. If your internal HD is nearly full, you can try to Cut and Paste the files to the external, or clear up more space on your internal b/4 tryiing to move the bigger files. Best of luck.
Posted on Jul 09, 2009
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especialy true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
Posted on Aug 31, 2009
SOURCE: I have a WD 500GB
If it shows up in 'my computer' as a drive letter(like E: drive) but you can't access it,you can recover data on it with data recovery program to avoid losing your data.I have succeed with Tenorshare data recovery. It can recover data after deeply scanning your external hard drive to look for lost data due to drives crash, physical damage,system sabotage, virus attack etc.You can get it here: http://www.any-data-recovery.com/product/datarecoverystandard.htm After you recover your data,you can format it to check out whether it can be fixed.
If the hard drive can't be detected,you can try this way.Put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for overnight. Then while it's still cold plug it into the computer and you may be able to view it in 'my computer'. And if needed, run the recovery program to recover your data on it.
If it fails, you will have to go to a recovery office where supply data recovery service but let's hope not because it will cost you a lot of money and whether they can recover data is not guaranteed.
Posted on Jul 29, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 25, 2011 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Jan 19, 2011 | Iomega 500GB eGo Helium Portable 500 GB...
Nov 25, 2010 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
Mar 25, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Aug 31, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Jul 31, 2009 | Iomega 500GB Ultramax HD USB 2.0/FW 500 GB...
Jul 09, 2009 | LaCie External USB 2.0 500GB 7200 RPM 500...
Apr 17, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500...
Mar 08, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Feb 09, 2009 | Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB...
330 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: