Question about Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB USB Hard Drive
My 500GB WD external hard drive prongs are bent and my computer will not recognize the HD anymore. I hope it can be replaced!!!!
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
This may sound silly,but sometimes if you put the drive in the freezer overnight it will work long enough for you to retrieve your data.Make sure you are ready to copy the data to another as it will likely fail again once it warms up.
Posted on Nov 26, 2008
1. Right click on My Computer > Manage;
2. On the new window click on Disk Management, on the right side, right click in the USB Volume and chose "Change Drive Letter and Path..."
3. In the new window click on "Add..." to assign a letter to your USb drive.
Posted on Jun 24, 2009
The lack of free space iis on your internal HD not the external. Whenever transferring files from one drive to another, you are acturally making a copy of the file to be transferred and sending the copy to the new drive. If your internal HD is nearly full, you can try to Cut and Paste the files to the external, or clear up more space on your internal b/4 tryiing to move the bigger files. Best of luck.
Posted on Jul 09, 2009
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especialy true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
Posted on Aug 31, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 25, 2011 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Jan 19, 2011 | Iomega 500GB eGo Helium Portable 500 GB...
Nov 25, 2010 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
Mar 25, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Aug 31, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Jul 31, 2009 | Iomega 500GB Ultramax HD USB 2.0/FW 500 GB...
Jul 09, 2009 | LaCie External USB 2.0 500GB 7200 RPM 500...
Apr 17, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500...
Mar 08, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Feb 09, 2009 | Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB...
340 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: