Question about American Standard Collection 4241.002 Chrome Single Control Kitchen Faucet...

1 Answer

Handle stuck; How descale w/o ruining chrome finish

Need to replace American Standard A951470-0070A - Cartridge for American Standard # 4242 Chrome Single Control. I need to replace the cartridge but after removing the set screw I can't budge the handle. How do I descale the stuck handle without ruining the finish—I am afraid WD-40 will harm the chrome.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 52 Answers

WD-40 will not harm the chrome but it you have liquid wrench, it would be better lubricant as WD 40 chemicals are actually a cleaner.

A descaler you need to be careful here. Lime-away or CLR is a popular choice but you need to read the label on chome products.

Posted on Jan 25, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

T980.732 faucet handle (one only) not working

I'm leaning towards handle adapter over cartridge. It is plastic and doesn't tolerate a lot of stress. Go to the link below for parts breakdown and A/S hotline number at the bottom left of page. A/S should also be able to provide you with the correct replacement cartridge and/or part number for your roman tub faucet.

May 31, 2010 | American Standard T980.722.234 Satin /...

1 Answer

How do I fix the drip using the cartridge I was sent? Took off the top of the handle but couldn't get the chrome part off. Looks like the cartridge may be too large.

the chrome escuction is usually only hand tight,then after you remove that ,there should be a retaining nut to hold the stem down ,you will need channel locks for this one

Apr 10, 2010 | American Standard Williamsburg 4 In. Dual...

1 Answer

Its has a drip i think it needs o rings but i

most home repair stores have the kits you need to repair this problem
you need new spring and seats replaced ...good luck

Nov 01, 2009 | American Standard T215.730.002 Chrome...

1 Answer

I have an American standard center spigot one handle, it is dripping, how do i get apart to repair

first turn the water off,then pull the handle off unscrew the top plastic piece pull neck off replace 0-rings,or cartridge what ever is needed.

Jun 06, 2009 | American Standard Kitchen Faucet Ceramix...

1 Answer

How to replace sprout seal kit?

After you remove the handle, the chrome cap should either snap or spin off.It also may come out with the cartridge... There are 3 screws that hold the cartidge in the faucet...take them out and you should be able carefully work the faucet are off of the core of the faucet. Put a little cooking oil on the o-rings after you install the new ones... just to allow the faucet arm to slide on without damage... Hope this gets you dripless!! Let me know if you have a question. K

Jun 05, 2009 | American Standard 4175.200.002 Colony...

1 Answer

Mine leaks handle and cap (housing cartridge)

there should be a little cap covering a allen srew in the front or back of the handle it sometimes looks like the hot or cold sign or chrome pop that off and loosen the screw and pull off the handle there should be a nut loosen that and pull up the cartridge you might be able to find one at home depot be sure to turn the water supply off

May 20, 2009 | American Standard 2175.502.002 Colony Soft...

1 Answer

American Standard single handle faucet

if it is 25 yrs old it might be to your favor to just replace the for something this old may be hard to find good luck.

Apr 22, 2009 | American Standard Reliant+ 4 In. Single...

2 Answers

Single knob for shower and tub wont stop running

You may have debris caught in the cartridge. I'm not sure which faucet you have but if it utilizes a ball, there is a retaining ring that is either grey or white that you have to tighten. If not, I would recommend contacting American Standard. You might have a bad cartridge or missed replacing another part. Sometimes they have small round washers at the back of the housing that need to be replaced as well.

Apr 01, 2009 | American Standard T375248.002 Polished...

2 Answers

Mixer taps

you didnt mention which side hot or cold?
it sounds like its scaled up & the o ring has dried out so it could be a case of replacing o ring & regreasing. ifits when you turn either hot or cold & its stiff then a replacement cartridge will required



Aug 29, 2008 | Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
American Standard Collection 4241.002 Chrome Single Control Kitchen Faucet... Logo

425 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top American Standard Plumbing Experts

john h

Level 3 Expert

12744 Answers

Steve Wood Plumbing...
Steve Wood Plumbing...

Level 1 Expert

21 Answers


Level 1 Expert

23 Answers

Are you an American Standard Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides